Monday, August 11, 2014

August 9, Not Running Alone!

This morning was different, as a guy from the area, John, came out to run with him. John hung with him for about 12 miles, then the other leg of the relay team, Matt, showed up!

John


Matt
           



I actually took some time this morning and cleaned up more of the coach than normal. It is amazing how dusty and dirty things get in such a small space, and with the dogs! I have not gotten the coach washed, but did some windows. There are little bugs all over the outside! Oh, and I found a Starbucks! Woo-hoo! And, my good friend Maxie Bishop, sent me a gift card for Starbucks! Maxie is such a great guy. I'm really glad we kept in touch after he left the fire department for a job with the state EMS administration. Thanks, Maxie!

Jeff and the guys came across a couple of interesting things on the road, as they moved into the west side of Kansas City.


More great houses!
       

And a yellow SSR, Jeff's dream car.

I swear this looks like Forest Gump's house! Anyone agree?
       

And a spotted llama!
< I am now sitting in Camping World, hoping to get something done about the a/c in the coach. I cannot remember 2 days ago! Sad, they all tend to run together! And, although there is WIFI for customers, apparently they have a firewall that will not allow me to save or upload. Bummer.>

So, Jeff came across a guy that works for the water department, I'm thinking Kansas City, Kansas. Not really sure. But he was very excited about what we are doing. Jeff continues to gather cash donations from people as he runs down the road.



Jeff also found a couple of interesting things along the road today. He and Matt were running through Kansas City, Kansas right up State St. to the bridge over the river in downtown KC. And, of course, there seems to be that shoe thing going on! Today, he found a whole pair, both shoes together!


Guess they got tired of waiting!
Big chicken!

   
But the big catfish is even better!





And he came across a couple of real characters along the way! These guys had a motorcycle shop there, and had put together this bike with serious speakers. They also seemed a bit stoned, but really enjoyed talking to Jeff and Matt. According to them, this bike is valued at around $55K! Wow.....

Can you see the speakers?

And of course, Jeff visited a couple of local fire stations as he strolled down the street. This was a truly amazing fire station! Old, obviously, but really interesting.


          

I guess someone else is using my Road Ahead concept! Lol....


The bridge over the river had a pedestrian and bicycle piece under the traffic lanes. It was pretty interesting. However, I got totally separated from where they were, as I took a different bridge. We eventually found each other, though. There is a lot of revitalization going on in that area. I was really impressed with the town. It is much older than Dallas, yet even the more depressed areas had more to offer than ours. They had fast food and other types of commerce that were not closed up and shut down, and there was a lot of places with new construction. I decided that the area they ran through was very similar to 5 district (my firefighting district for 12 years), but did have those things going for it that Dallas doesn't. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the city management and the flow of money!






Once we all got across into Missouri, Jeff decided we should call it a day, as we were driving back to Matt's house in Raymore for dinner and to spend the night. But, not before he found this awesome old church, that was just boarded up.



We really enjoyed hanging out with Matt that evening. He made us an awesome dinner of steak and his special crab manicotti! I think we all 3 were stuffed after dinner.



After dinner, Matt drove us over to the firefighter memorial on 87th street. In 1988, there was an arson fire there in a truck, which spread to storage with undeclared ammonium nitrate. When the firefighters were fighting the blaze, unaware that there were hazardous materials present, the thing blew, killing all 6 of them. Very sad.


         


          




Then later as we were just sitting around uploading stuff, and chatting, I got a text about the Outlander premier on Starz. I asked if they minded if I watch a show? Of course they didn't! So, I was actually able to watch the premier, although I had figured I would miss the whole series and have to watch it on demand when we got back. I was a happy camper! Matt also gave up his room to us, and it was a very comfortable night!

And, we had a Super Moon! It was a really good day. In addition, Jeff found a single Mailbox of the Day.



 







No comments:

Post a Comment