Thursday, August 21, 2014

August 20, Central Illinois

Today was fairly unremarkable, as days on the road go. We both got an early start, although Jeff earlier than me! We were parked across the street from Huck's Now Truck Stop, in Farmer City. Once we went about 2 blocks and crossed the interstate, we were back in the corn. And, we passed or passed through, a couple of small towns. You know, I hate to say it, but they are all blending together in my brain! Is it fair to say that I need a vacation?

Bellflower was our first little town, not far down the road. It was very small, and somewhat off the road.



         



Then the next push was to get to Gibson City. Not a very large town, either, but there was a sewer dump there, so it was important! It was great, too. This little city in middle Illinois was very RV friendly! They have a city park right on the main highway going through, with hook-ups and a dump. And the daily rate is only $10! It is in a fully treed area, with hard surface spots, not just gravel. And, there is a bath building. All you have to do is go to the police department and arrange to stay there! I was really disappointed that we couldn't. So, please, remember! If you are in the area and need a camp ground, check them out. I went by the police station to pay for my dump, and they said there was no charge, too.

And something I have noticed about the towns in this area. There seems to be more money here, as there are dozens of those old 2 story prairie homes, and most have been re-done. There is also a significant number of more modern areas, which makes me wonder what the industry is other than farming.


             


          


An old locomotive in the park.
           



A couple of other interesting things from today. I have never seen a bottle tree like this before!



And, I know this song. It has been playing in my head all day, since I parked here. I bet it will be stuck in yours, too, now!


We have seen a dozen of these cell towers with nothing on them. We talked to a guy that owns property where one is, and he says that no one is renting therm. What? No wonder our coverage is crappy out here, AT&T!



And could someone please explain why this poor horse's tail has been snipped so short? I watched her trying to dislodge flies without it. It was very sad. I felt bad for her!



And, I know how Jeff dislikes the huge windmills. I think they are very cool. This was our first windmill farm in several states!




We passed a couple of interesting homes on the road, as well as in the towns. I don't know why we both really like these so much!


              

It's a good thing they put a new roof on this one!

I thought it was great that I was finally close enough to this wild baby's breath flower today! I have been seeing it for a couple of days now, but didn't really want to go slogging through the bar ditch to get a pic. And I have noticed, also, some of this blue bachelor's button flower that somehow didn't get the color gene. Interesting.

             



Our final destination for the day, was Paxton, or rather, just beyond it. Some running friends from Plano were driving up today, and we figured Paxton was the most likely place to meet up. Clyde and Kelly Shank. They made it, and we got together for dinner. But that is more a story for tomorrow. Clyde wanted to run with Jeff tomorrow.

Paxton was much larger than we expected. Lots of residential! But, oddly enough, only a couple of restaurants and one motel. But many of the homes are beautiful! More of that same style that is so prevalent throughout the midwest.


            


                      


This one was even for sale! Looks like an apartment
building.
                         


                      



Paxton also had a nice war memorial, which is very common in this part of the country.


                      


While running through Paxton, Jeff made a couple of new friends. The only dog that ever took out after me barking was a big shepherd type dog. Thankfully, he went home when I told it to!

                


We are trying to push farther every day, so I am helping more. Only problem is that my helping slows the stats down. But still, forward progress is very important at this point.

We got a Mailbox of the Day pic, but we might have seen a similar one before?  Not sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment