Saturday, August 16, 2014

August 15, Leaving Missouri

Can hardly believe we have less than a month to go! It is getting harder to figure out where we need to go, route wise. I'd like to go a bit south and take 50 all the way to Maryland. Jeff doesn't want to go south. So, I guess we just keep going.


Got up early, when Jeff left at 5:30, simply because I didn't want to be awakened by a farmer checking on his grain storage. Realistically, it probably won't be used until harvest time, but not really knowing, I got up and got my shower. When I walked the dogs the last time before leaving, there was an amazing sun rise! I miss most of them.... I also noticed a wild Morning Glory on the side of the road. 

 


Speaking of wildflowers, they are abundant here, as I have mentioned. I love this pic, with several of my favorites all in the same area!



We just continue to plow through the farmland here. There is so much corn and soybeans! At one point, while I was taking my turn, I noticed this deer standing at the edge of the woods. She watched me pass, but didn't run off. And I wondered, do deer eat cornfields?



Facebook lost some of Jeff's pics today. But I do have a few to post. One of the interesting things today, I went into Bowling Green, to the Walmart. I've discovered I can spend a lot of money there! Lol.... Anyway, apparently this area has a decent Amish population. The Walmart had a structure in the parking lot for them to park their carriages while shopping. As I drove in, there was a family loading up and getting ready to leave. 

And, the guy I bought some vegetables from said that he bought most of the stuff he sells from them. Pretty cool. 


      


We were within 50 miles of my high school. I am disappointed that we didn't have time, or went in that direction, so that I could give Jeff a little tour. Maybe another time.

This highway goes within a mile of my high school.

The real surprise today was the town of Louisiana! I lived so close to here, but don't remember ever hearing about it before. It was a small dot on the map, so I didn't expect too much. However, I was very pleasantly surprised! It was a really cool town, with a very cute downtown area and lots of interesting stately homes. I actually only went in instead of taking the bypass because I needed to do some laundry, and there was a laundry there. There were a lot of places for sale, too. Sad. 

















I hooked back up with Jeff after the laundry, at the bridge over the Mississippi just outside of Louisiana. It was raining by then. The bridge was old, and very narrow. I remember a similar bridge in St. Charles, which is gone now, that had an elbow in it halfway across. I always hated driving over that bridge.


      



And, with a bridge like that, it was illegal for him to walk across. So, we drove to Illinois, and there was a marina right there at which we noticed a couple of RV's. I went in and asked, and sure enough, they had RV hook ups! So, that is how I am catching up the blog so much tonight. We have had spotty AT&T out here, but the biggest problem is we are exceeding our data badly. So, even when we do have a strong enough signal, we try not to overload our data. 

There are not mailbox pics. They were among the ones that got lost going to Facebook. Jeff keeps running out of storage on his phone, so he has to keep deleting the pics once he posts them. So, how about a sculpture for the day? This guy was at one of the country golf courses we passed today. There were a number of them on the course. Very clever use of the tree!


It stayed cloudy and somewhat cool all day! The road ahead was very pleasant!







No comments:

Post a Comment