Sunday, August 10, 2014

August 7, State Capitol


It was a quiet morning, as we got moving pretty early. Our first little town was Belvue. We thought it would be tiny, with nothing in there. However, it seems that the towns are getting more stuff in them now. No longer are they just dots on a map, without any commerce. The dots aren't any larger, but the towns have more to offer the closer we get to major cities.



And on my way down the road, I found a vegetable stand that was open, and had lots of tomatoes. The farmer was really nice, too, as we talked for a bit. It was interesting, the stand was on the honor system. Meaning, he had prices on the veggies, and a bucket for you to pay up after you got what you wanted. That way he didn't have to stay there or staff the stand! Pretty cool, huh?



My plan was to stop in at St. Mary's, where google indicated there was a sewer dump at the treatment plant. Well, I could find nothing. I looked for people, and struck out. Walked around looking for the dump. Nothing. Finally, I called the number. No answer. So I called St. Mary's City Hall. The young lady on the phone, after putting me on hold for a number of minutes, came back and told me that unless we had rented an RV space at the city park, we were not allowed to dump there. What? That is NOT indicated on the internet. And why would a city pass on an income stream? Makes no sense to me. But I went on anyway. But, on my way out of St. Mary's, I found these two places!


         


So, knowing that I had planned on finding a laundry in Topeka, I went ahead and stopped. It was a really nice little laundry, AND it wasn't expensive! While the wash was in, I popped down to the little coffee shop a block up, and got some coffee. Now I had one more thing done!

St. Mary's also has a college. It had actually quite a lot for a small town!


        


          

More great little prairie houses!

        


Sunflowers that were taller than Jeff!
       



The closer to Topeka that we got, the closer the little towns got together. While we were in Silver Lake, a couple of local Topeka news guys caught up with Jeff. Of course we missed the broadcast, but still, it is nice to get that boost!


Rocky.
       
We passed one of the stations on the highway, also.

Rick.

Silver Lake was a good size little town. We passed through fairly quickly, though. Jeff did make some new friends there at the fire station he stopped into!


All these towns have a Masonic presence.

They are actively looking for volunteers!
       




    

Of course, the houses are awesome here, too.

And their volunteers are very proud of what they do.
       




     



Jeff found us a really nice pair of garden shears on the road, too.... you can always use a good pair of those!
I found something today, too!


I tried to attach it to the antenna, but I thought it would snap
it off at speeds over 35! So I took it back off.....
           
Jeff also got a flower of the day pic. Surprisingly, the flowers are harder to find. Maybe because they have mowed all the roadsides.


And the road ahead is overcast, and definitely cooler after the showers the night before!
On the way into Topeka, I passed this awesome old stone farmhouse, and outbuilding. No for sale sign! Obviously a fixer upper with history!

       

       


We made it into Topeka, and took a trip downtown to get pics of the state capitol. They have some pretty interesting old buildings. The Topeka High School is an awesome building! We thought, from a distance, that it was a church or college.


         


         


            

The high school! It was huge, too.


Never fear, Jeff found a great Mailbox of the Day! I know yesterday was one of those days with nothing out there, other than just your generic mailbox. But this one is pretty cool.













No comments:

Post a Comment