Tuesday, August 19, 2014

August 18, President Lincoln

Today began much like any other. Jeff left out and I followed along in a bit. It was still about 100% humidity, as there was a blanket of fog all around us.



As you can see, the first little town we went through was New Berlin. There was actually quite a lot to see there. Many of these little towns give great respect and honor to our war and service veterans. It is very nice to see, after some of the attitude that you perceive in the "big city".


      

So many places have awesome gardens. This one is a flower
garden.

       

I think this tree looks pretty creepy!

        


       

This small town really did it up well!


Of course, we went through other little towns. I don't remember blowing through them in the RV, but Jeff always finds something worth taking a pic of.


       


        

It didn't take us long to get to Springfield, though. Jeff went for a sandwich, I went to run errands. Notice we were separated. This is important later on! I found a seafood market, as I really miss my fish. At home, we eat fish 3-4 times a week! And the fish at Central Market is always fresh and amazing. The little fish market I went to here had very little that wasn't flash frozen. And it was more expensive than CM, if that is possible! I have been spoiled by the CM seafood!

Jeff had lunch here!

        


After I got my errands done, I headed to the county fairgrounds to dump the tanks. How hard could that be, you ask? Well, it was like trying to find something at Fair Park in Dallas with no idea where to look! And they evidently just ended their fair. The people I asked didn't have any idea where a sanitary dump would be. So, I drove around until I spied some campers, and had stumbled on their campground. The office was closed on Monday, so I just pulled in to the dump and took care of business.

That was about the time that Jeff and I were going to reconnect. But then I found out he was not on the route. He didn't like the road, so he changed. This might not be any big deal, really, except that I went to where he said he was, and he had moved. Then I texted and called. It was clear that his phone had died. I had his spare charger! So now I have no idea where he is in Springfield. I just know that he had talked about going to the Lincoln tomb, so I tracked that down. He wasn't there. Then, as I was about to panic, and wondering if I should involved a local cop, I got a phone call from an unfamiliar number. It was him, wanting to know where I was! He was not on the street I thought he said he was traveling down. So, it all worked out. About that time, the reporter from the local NBC affiliate, WAND, got back in contact to let us know she was close. We arranged to meet at the Lincoln Tomb for the interview. That actually worked out pretty well!



Of course, while waiting for Bridgette Burnett and her crew, we checked out Lincoln's Tomb. It is an amazing place! Future archaeologists will think he was a king, or something! They may all be like this, I really don't know. But it was a wonderful tribute! Inside, there were halls that at each end had another bronze statue. Then in the middle was the huge stone that marked his actual grave. Outside, there was a huge bronze head, and people apparently run his nose for luck.


          


            


I actually thought he looked pretty sad in this shot!
           


          


           


            


            


              

This is a huge cemetery. At one entrance is also where they have their war memorials.

You can't see it in the pic, but there is the eternal flame
burning at the top.

               


While out running all my errands, I also managed to snag a pic of the Illinois state capitol building. Not a great pic, but driving in that area was tough in that big coach! Didn't really have the time to check out their historic neighborhood, though. Too bad. Bet it was nice!



They are very proud of their heritage here, both the Lincoln history and the farming history. I thought this was a wonderful way to tastefully brag!



Today was the day for sports team memorabilia, as well.

Remember, this isn't Texas, folks!

Um.... should I tell them the Cards have moved?

Jeff doesn't seem to be finding as much odd stuff on the road now. But, that is not to say there isn't some! And, I still have not found any jewelry..... maybe that guy made that story up! Haha....

I think Jeff laid these out for a better photo.

          

Must have been a good party!I've seen a lot of beer cans on the road, but this is the first keg!

Although there does not seem to be as many wildflowers on the side of the road, as many of them look to be almost manicured with maybe some type of fescue grass, but there are still plenty of flowers here! And, look! A crop other than corn or soybeans! A Christmas tree farm!


              


 As we left town, Jeff was not happy to see that we had a divided highway in our future, with lots of traffic. However, as we moved about a mile down the road, it became, once again, a 2 lane country highway.



Time to go today, but not before giving you the Mailboxes of the Day!


        


            





No comments:

Post a Comment