Monday, August 25, 2014

August 24, Running Out of Time

We are coming down to the wire on whether our time will allow us to go the distance prior to 9-11. That is our goal, of course. Right now, we have 17 days to make almost 700 miles. We need encouragement, prayers, and, let me think.... donations! We need more fuel for our fire!

We are going such long days now, that I am usually so tired at the end of the day. And I am not the one running 40 miles or so! Jeff is amazing. At the end of the day, we make dinner and upload/download pictures, and then Jeff is out. He will take a quick shower and off to bed. I work a little longer on the blog, or just getting the pics in order. When I first took on this blog, I had no idea how much time it would really take. I've never been much of a writer, anyway, preferring to read the words of others with a much better command of the language than I. I have always loved to read. But, it is quite different when you are behind the pen yourself. First, I have to figure out what I want to talk about. You would think that might be easy. Heck, we are crossing the country on foot! We have tons of pics that tell a story.... Piece of cake, right? Ha! One of the hardest things is trying to make a run of the mill day sound exciting. And yes, we have lots of pics, and many of them tell a story that is in Jeff's head, not mine. So, I struggle daily to make this blog a bit interesting so that people will want to follow. Because every now and then, I WILL make the pitch for donations! I will reach more people if my blog is interesting.

Jeff left the RV, which I mentioned,was parked at a strip shopping center in Peru, IN. He left in the dark, and took a turn through the downtown area instead of up to the main highway. All the towns out here have some sort of war memorial, and Peru is no exception. Jeff captured some really interesting shots of the town in the dark.


            


                             


            


Apparently, Peru, IN is known as the Circus Capitol. Other than finding out that some owners live there, and bring their shows there on the off season, we have no idea why! But it makes for some interesting wall art.


           


               


                  


Onward, up the road towards Wabash. Wabash is a county seat, and of course, the Wabash River runs through it. We have been following the Wabash River for a while. It is a really pretty river, and quite full of water after all the rain they have been having here. Jeff took the diverted highway for the most part, and I went looking for the RV park. The city website said they had a city park with an RV park in it. But, with all my searching on my phone, I could find no address. How hard could it be to find a city park in a small town? This was a wild goose chase. Not as aggravating as the one before, but my GPS sent me to a cornfield about 5 miles south of town. Guess what? No RV's there! So, back to town. I was trying to get some pics when I noticed a sign indicating a City Park. I followed the signs! I drove all through the park. It was a big city park, too, with the ever present disc golf course. That must be really popular here. Anyway, I finally gave up and went to find Jeff. On the corner of the main highway, I found the police department and went in to ask. The nice lady there gave me an address, but it was a couple miles back. I made the command decision to not go back. There would be something in the next town. Hmmmm.....

On our way towards Huntington, Jeff found a few things to capture.

I'm confused. Is this archaeological?

They love Lincoln here, too!
             

We found the Stairway to Heaven?

I don't even know what to say?
                 

Perfect big red barn!

Even better Tweety barn!
             
Our final town of the day was Huntington. Our goal was to blow through it quickly. Little did we know there would be so many interesting things there! We were delayed more than we should be in a town.... we are on a schedule.




        


Jeff wanted a sidewalk brick so badly!
                 


                 

There were tons of grand homes here.

What a great city hall! 
                   


This had to cost a fortune to reno!
                     


This was right at the edge of town on the river.
                   


Can you see the river past the out building?
 
The Huntington County seat.

                

The war memorial.

                    
             

Jeff found some fun things there too. I noticed the fire plugs while driving through, but Jeff was able to get up close and personal with many of them. How cute! I just wonder if all the mains are the same size? Paint color is how we knew the main size. For whatever reason they did it, I like it!

Jeff takes a selfie!

               


                    

And while he was trekking through the town, he came across an anniversary party. Of course, they invited him in! He finds all the cool stuff!



We ended up finding, as I drove ahead, a state recreation area with a camp ground, right on our route! I checked it out. There was electrical hookups and water. I drove around and around looking for the sewer dump. Apparently they didn't have one! That is so strange to me to have a state corps park not have something that basic. Anyway, we decided to stay. Jeff was over 40 miles, close to 45. It was nice having electrical so that we didn't have to run the generator for the a/c all night!

Having crossed a couple of counties, of course we found some great mailboxes of the day!


                  


                







No comments:

Post a Comment