Sunday, August 3, 2014

August 2, We Had Company!

Jeff took out in the morning, and I had a hard time waking up. Ended up feeling like crap all day, and not doing my exercise routine! It may have been due to the 1 1/2 glasses of wine that I had... maybe. When I finally rolled out of bed and got my shower, I thought that our hosts had gone. I wrote out a nice thank you, and left it on their front porch. As I was driving away, Bill came out to say goodbye. They were such nice people!

Jeff caught a few pics of things on the way out of Osborne. Cute little town, too.

The restaurant on the edge of town had all these
pics of veterans on their walls!
     
This is the park that we were going to sleep at.... before
Bill saved us!

The geodetic center of North America is nearby.
   
This guy is Osborne EMS and the Chief of the Alton VFD.
And his dad was a Line of Duty death.

Too pretty to pass up as the Flower of the Day!

Middle America is very patriotic and respectful towards veterans!
     
For the most part, this was a day of passing through small towns looking for a picture to take. And did we hit pay dirt! First town after Osborne was Downs. Cute little small town. After I passed quite a while in the city park while waiting for Jeff to run into town, we went looking for a restaurant to grab some lunch at. Although the sign on the highway indicated there might be a number of restaurants there, we found nothing in the main area of town! At least, nothing open on a Saturday..... Disappointed, we went back to the highway. On our way out of town, I noticed a place that looked like they sold burgers. Myers Sporting Goods. So, I pulled over and we decided to try it. I think Jeff is getting bored with our normal RV fare. It is nice to have something different for a change! The folks there were very nice, and the food was pretty good, too. We sat in a little booth and listened as some of the local farmers bantered back and forth over our heads. So, if you are ever in that area, Downs Kansas, stop in and say hi, and grab some food!


Small towns can be proud of very unique things!
       


Such a cute little motel!
     


Interesting historical church.
     


This is Myers!
     

Say Hi to Jodie and Tim!

Jeff paying for something.... no, not really!
     
Next up on our little town list was Cawker City, the home of the World's Biggest Ball of Twine! And a pretty interesting town, too. Just the old architecture is fun to look at.


      


Looks like an old gas station.
   


The fire station had an RV dump site! 


      


Along the way, we also found a few interesting items.

Scenic view with hills in the distance!

So sad that they dammed it up and lost the springs!
         

Cool looking cows.
And now we know where Rudolf hangs out when
he is not leading Santa!
Fake palm trees with little fake monkeys
hanging from them at this airport!

And that is me up ahead, in the road ahead....
             
Another thing we found today was our friend Jon Callahan! He drove down from Nebraska to have dinner with us and run with Jeff in the morning. We ended up staying at the Glen Elder State Park, which is on the reservoir that was created when they dammed Waconda Springs. It was pretty good there. There was even a WIFI hotspot! We grilled chicken and veggies, and chatted for a while. Then Jon took us to town for a DQ treat! We all know Jeff needs lots of calories. (I, on the other hand, DO NOT!) Of course I got a Blizzard, too. It was great in there.... cold as could be.

I loved being in air conditioning! I am really ticked that our brand new coach does not have a working a/c, and we can get no one to fix it. That is truly ridiculous! Hopefully we can solve that in Kansas City. But if not, we are driving near Indianapolis, which I think is the headquarters for the coach manufacturer, AND the a/c unit. Wonder if I'd get a better response in person?

So remember that last week in Colorado Springs, we bought Jeff 2 pairs on new shoes? Well, one of them has already started losing its tread. There couldn't be 100 miles on those shoes... I have emailed the manufacturer, and will hopefully get some resolution to that. Or maybe they are as decentralized as the coach manufacturer and we will get no where with them, too!



It is late, and I am tired this week. Thankfully, I am not having to work as hard as Jeff, though. My miles today were sooooo slooooww! Hope I am  back to par in the next couple of days.

So, I leave you with a solitary, sparkly mailbox.





No comments:

Post a Comment