Saturday, August 30, 2014

August 29, Stayed at a Firestation!

Jeff left the campground very early this morning and I slept late! Much more than normal. Not really sure why, either. Just getting tired, maybe? Got all the little things done that compose breaking camp and headed out. The campground was a little over a mile off the road. We don't have any pics of the campground, but Jeff captured a couple of interesting things on his way out. Of course, the local dogs just go nuts when he runs by!


                  

This was on the road. It is just a mock up. Not sure why, I guess they are trying to be friendly. It was interesting, though.
The little town of Nova was not open for business. Too bad. The general store looked kind of interesting.


               


We went through several small towns today. I really hate that they all seem to be running together! We are less than 2 weeks to finish this, other than the October ceremony in Emmitsburg. We have now been on the road since May 26 when we left Dallas. We made it to Coos Bay in 3 days, driving hard, and going through areas I have never been. Like Bakersfield CA. I love CA, but I won't ever need to revisit that area of it! And then Jeff hit the road on May 31, and we have been doing this routine ever since.

Anyway, back to the little towns. Sullivan was one of the smaller ones. But, it had the usual war memorials.


                        


                   



My favorite I think was Lodi. I have no idea why. Maybe because of Lodi CA. And the flowers on their sign look a lot like grapes!


                


There were a lot of old restored cars in the town, too.
           


               
This intrigued both of us. But, we didn't stop.


Oh, and that is where Jeff had lunch, just as we came into town. In retrospect, I wish I had gassed up there, too. I thought, mistakenly, that the closer into Akron we got, the prices would fall. Of course, they rose over 30 cents! So I waited longer, and ended up finding it a little less.


Obviously a LOT of school spirit!
             

Jeff had this awesome looking burger.
 There were plenty of things along the way that were interesting. There always are. They are very patriotic in this region, too!







I love the Oreo cows! 
                 

It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

Ooops!
                 

Today was the day to find sports items on the road.

But I'm not sure where the business end of this golf club went!
And then we went through this little berg. Westfield. It appeared to be very exclusive, the buildings were all similar, and the golf course was amazing! Of course, Jeff stopped in to the fire station to chat for a bit.

                 

                   


                    


                  



Yesterday I mentioned the great big red barns that are everywhere out here. Today, I saw this one. It is not red, nor is it really big, or old. But it looked really cool. And the horses that lived there were really pretty.


                 


I am really glad to see some changes in the scenery again, too. The rolling, wooded hills are quite a change from the flat farmland of Illinois and Indiana. I have a feeling we will see a lot more changes! We are headed right through the mountains of Pennsylvania in a few days.


                       


By dark, we were wondering where to stay. We pulled into Norton, and saw the big, new firestation there. Yes, it was dark, but not really too late to knock on the door! Joe met us out there, showed us around, and even arranged for us to park in their parking lot for the night! It was great. You should see this station. It really was very nice. And they had a lot of equipment there.


              

Loved the light switches!


We did manage to get several Mailbox of the Day shots, too! Enjoy.


                  


                 




2 comments:

  1. Darn, Lodi was your favorite little town - and it has the very best gas prices, by about 20 cents, maybe more compared to Akron. And those grapelike flowers on their sign are for the mammoth rhododendrons at the cemetery in the spring. I saw Jeff in Wadswworth, heading toward Norton, I guess. Glad you got a good stay at the fire station :- )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Did you stop and say hi to him? I missed the rhododendrons. :(

    ReplyDelete