Saturday, August 23, 2014

August 22, First Day in Indiana

This was an exhausting day for me, for some reason! But more about that later. Since we had "camped" on an abandoned dead end road, there was no need for me to hurry to get out of there in the morning. It had rained a lot over night, but thankfully, we hadn't heard much thunder. There was a flash of lightning every now and then, but that was all. Jeff waited a bit to see if the rain would break, then he headed out. Our little camp was just outside of Pine Village, which makes me think of Pine Valley, and then miss All My Children! Oh, well....



So I googled the birthplace of American pro football. This little berg wasn't on the list of places even vying for the distinction!

Along the way, aside from the corn, we passed a couple of interesting things. Now understand that Jeff passes 26 miles every day! But not often does he get a mile marker to herald the mileage.


The houses are getting newer.
           

I have no idea where Jeff found this! Maybe he has
been seeing some snapping turtles out there.

Pretty cool!
                     


We separated as we got close to West Lafayette, so that I could go to Walmart, and do some laundry. The laundry was very hard to find, but in order to find it, I had to go through the Purdue University campus.


                     




I never found one of those signs that indicates, in a big way, this was Purdue University. It was much more spread out than SMU, by far! Not sure if it is bigger, student body wise. But, as I drove through there, it was clear that the students were in for the fall semester! They had a HUGE number of fraternity and sorority houses, too!

While at the laundry, I met Vicki and her pet rooster, Butterscotch. She actually took him out of the car, and into the laundry. They promptly told her to leave. She took the poor bird back outside to the cage in the car. I felt bad for her, but maybe there is a health code regulation preventing roosters in a laundromat?


                


Once I got the laundry done, found a Walmart, and even a Sonic for their awesome ice, and a diet Cherry Limeade.... I found out where Jeff was, and headed that way. There was an RV camp ground on the road we were traveling on, so my plan was to dump the 2 days worth of stuff filling the tanks. It needed it. The only reason we got this size RV, was to have more tank room. Sadly, I wish we had more. Two days is about as much as we think we can do. I say think, as the indicator lights always indicate either 2/3 full, or completely full. Even after dumping. So, I assume there is something wrong with the indicator gauge? Anyway, I found Jeff, got him water and more ice, then pulled ahead to the camp ground. Wolfe's Leisuretime Camp Ground. Remember that name. Do not go there. She flatly refused to let me use their sewer dump if we were not staying there! I've never had that happen! And, we needed to go several miles further than her camp ground. Even after I told her my situation, and the fact that according to the internet, there were no other places around, she told me no. She said I could dump at the RV dealer 7-8 miles back the way I came.... like they were going to be open at 8 pm! I went anyway, burning more gas and knowing they had to be closed. Which they were. So, I found a state park a bit up the road and started trying to find it. What a wild goose chase that was! I found myself going over a single lane bridge, over the Wabash River. Then I was in a little town, a very CUTE little town, not knowing where to go. I pulled over to the curb and broke out the phone again. Finally, a really nice young gentleman came over and asked if I was looking for Prophetown? I guess the RV gave me away! So, he gave me directions, I found it, and by dark, was dumping. All this time, Jeff is running up the road. By the time I got back, it was full dark, but I found him at the town of Delphi, IN. Sort of of small town, but not teeny. We had stuff to grill, but blew that off! Ended up at McDonald's! We were both tired, but somehow that whole wild goose chase just wore me out. Then, we looked for a place to park for the night. Most businesses were already closed, so we drove around the little town a bit. We finally ended up in the CVS parking lot, next door to McDonald's. It was well lit, and
there was no one there.

Sometime during the day, Jeff made another dog friend. I would not want to see this fella running up to me and barking!


                   


The scenery is becoming a bit different. There is still plenty of corn. In fact, we found this schizophrenic field out there!


And a bank with the same issue!
           
Did I mention that it had rained all night the night before? Well, it seems they have been having some rain here, and now the creeks and rivers are becoming quite full!


                          


Jeff did come through for our mailbox of the day fans!



                   










No comments:

Post a Comment