Sunday, August 17, 2014

August 16, Illinois!


This morning was a disaster. We made it across the Mississippi River and stayed at an RV park at a marina just on the Illinois side. It rained all night. It was still raining when we got up this morning. Jeff postponed leaving hoping it would abate. It didn't. He finally left. I got going soon after, and had to break camp in the rain. And the dogs were afraid of getting wet, so Pinkie was the only one that would go out. She is a little braver! I got a text from Jeff telling me he was at a cafe at a crossroads, did I want to meet him for breakfast? I told him I wouldn't be eating, but I'd be there shortly. When I arrived, it was still pouring. I went in and found him sitting at a table with a couple, also passing through, who did some cycling and running, and were interested in what we were doing. While Jeff polished off, almost, the largest pancake I have ever seen, I had some hot coffee. The couple, Mark and Kim Wilkinson from Bloomington, Illinois , were on their way to the Lake of the Ozarks. They were really nice! They also bought our breakfast. That was really cool.










Out to the coach to head out, and it was still pouring down. At least there was no thunder or lightning, as there is right now. (Thankfully we stopped just before the new storm). So, while it was pouring, Jeff was just shivering, and obviously did not want to go back out there! I didn't want to go out there, either! However, knowing that we needed some forward progress, I gathered up a plastic poncho, hat, my old Brooks running shoes, and the big, HUGE umbrella. The wind was not blowing, so I figured it would be ok. Reluctantly, I put my iPhone in a baggie, and headed out the door. I learned something. I could operate the iPhone through the plastic bag! Interesting. I also learned that I really enjoyed being out there. The umbrella and plastic poncho kept me pretty dry, except for my feet. I was just going along thinking how great it smelled out there, when Jeff showed up. That was really about the time it quit raining for most of the day.




I also learned that there were more dead frogs on the side of the road. And, it occurred to me that Jeff must have never heard the phrase, frog strangler, before, since he was not from Texas. So, what I really learned, is there is a very good reason that heavy rain is sometimes called a frog strangler! It actually kills the frogs!



The area we went through today reminded me very much of Missouri. I had to keep reminding myself that we had crossed the river! Of course it was farmland, but there were rolling hills and quite a bit of wooded areas.




The rest of the day was still quite cool, even after the rain moved out. It remained cloudy, as well. It was, other than the fact that we had short miles, a very good day after the torrential rain stopped! It still amazes me some of the stuff you see when you are walking as opposed to driving. As it was pouring on Jeff, he came across this house with a little rock shop out front. He knows I love rocks, so he took some pics. He also noticed the Mr. Potato Head!


       



We were looking forward to getting to Pittsfield, as they had a McDonald's there and we needed some WIFI. I got there first, went in, ordered a diet Coke (I never drink soda!), and started to get to work. Only to find out that I couldn't log on. I got an error message that gave me a number to call, so I did. They said the problem had been reported and someone was going to take a look at it. Later. Bummer! I even drank part of that little diet Coke! So, when Jeff got there, he got a soft serve, and we left. I went on through the little town, thinking I might see a cafe or something with WIFI. That is when I discovered the county courthouse! It is the prettiest one I think we have seen. I took several pics.... Then I noticed there was a coffee shop across the street from it on the square. Free Press Coffee. I went in, asked, and they said YES, they had WIFI! So, I let Jeff know where to come, and got my computer, ordered some great tea, and got a few things done. Thankfully I had updated the blog through yesterday, so I didn't have to spend too much time there.


Out building for the county courthouse.
     


       

There were 2 of these benches on the courthouse square.

Speaking of the Pittsfield Fire & Rescue, Jeff stopped by the station while the chief was there! Although they are a volunteer department, Jeff got lucky.


           

There were actually a number of interesting buildings there. Including the library. I think that Jeff and I both like the old buildings, as we both take pics of similar ones.

The Pittsfield library.

The Cardinal Bar and Grill.
       


        



From there, it was just down the road. There was a slight shoulder, and not really all that much traffic. The biggest issue is still finding those wide spots every couple miles to replenish Jeff, or to swap out. I did find a couple of interesting things out there. Including a wild Trumpet vine. The hummingbirds love these, but they are incredibly invasive!

Interesting that it is now a soybean field.

         


We passed through a couple other small towns. It's funny, that I barely remember driving through them, yet Jeff finds those little jewels to take pics of.


        


      

This little town of Detroit was interesting. Only 100 people live there, yet they have dueling churches which are right across the street from one another!


      


      


          



Late in the day we crossed the Illinois River. I could hear some rumbling starting off in the distance, and checking radar indicated we had another wide spread storm building up. But, this one was a thunderstorm. Found a little wide spot next to the highway and on an old road that said it was a dead end. It ended at a farm, so that looked like a really good spot. About half an hour later, the storm arrived. Glad we stopped when we did. I just hope that tomorrow is not a lot of rain.


        


        

For all of the fans of the Mailbox of the Day, not to worry! Pouring down rain would not stop us from getting a pic when we came across a wonderful one!


Someone must treasure their bills!
       




No comments:

Post a Comment