Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August 26, More Beans and Corn

Now that we are in Ohio, nothing has changed! Lol... still corn on the left and beans on the right, OR beans on the right and corn on the left... Actually, we have seen a couple of hay fields, and I saw a huge open truck driving that was full of tomatoes. I'm assuming Romas or something like that for sauce. And I expected to continue to see roadside vegetable stands, which there are a few. Many of them tell me they get their veggies from the Amish, who are organic farmers. I like organic! And the tomatoes have wonderful flavor. I love tomatoes. Jeff prefers grocery store tomatoes with no flavor....

The towns are mostly very similar. I have noticed that we are seeing some changes in the farmhouses, a bit. There are more brick houses. I don't have a pic, but I do notice some changes.

After taking care of the RV stuff and getting my shower, I took out through Van Wert after Jeff. It turns out that Jeff bi-passed the town on the highway, but I found a wonderful courthouse and library there! And, it happens to have the Lincoln Highway going right through it.


                  


                 


                           



Jeff is also still making friends out there! He got to talking to this guy, Mike, and found out that he is cycling across America, east to west, with nothing but his bike, the clothes on his back, a couple sweat towels, and a credit card. Interesting!



Later in the day, we went through Ottoville, which made me think of a guy I worked with named Otto. I doubt there is a connection, though!





         

 Ottoville had a great Catholic church with a double steeple!


                   


I love this little fake animal farm that Jeff found and took pics of! It is so whimsical. Things like this just make me wonder....


              



And here are a couple of other cool and unusual things that we see as we go by... It really is amazing what you find when you open your eyes and look!


          


                   


The last town we went through today was Ottawa. They have a very nice firefighter memorial on their courthouse lawn.


                


                    


              


                      


             


 And this town was FULL of beautiful old homes! Some of them were just stunning. I can't imagine the money that people spent renovating these homes, but they all looked wonderful!


              


                 

One thing that we are finding. Without the public lands, or even more space, as the western states had, places to stop, just to wait, or to park for the night, are getting more and more scarce. Tonight we drove looking, and kept coming up with nothing. It was too late to ask some of the businesses if we could use their parking lot, as they were closed! It was getting dark. Then we stumbled across a little berg with a small park on the road. It was very near where we stopped running, so it worked. It was very quiet!

Beautiful sunset on the road BEHIND us!
But, not without the Mailbox of the Day!


                





No comments:

Post a Comment