Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September 8, Entered New Jersey

When we woke up in the Walmart parking lot in Lehighton, we discovered that there was a view out the window that was just phenomenal! When we arrived in the dark, you couldn't tell, but you could see forever from that parking lot. We actually had a full moon the night before, so that gave us some illumination, but nothing like this beautiful clear blue sky!


                     

Jeff took off early in order to get lots of miles. He did have a few miles to back track, which is never a good thing. We have used a few of those banked miles, but mostly they just pile up. Anyway, he went through town and did great until he forgot to go down 248. He just never made the turn. So I drive up 248 for a bunch of miles, and no Jeff. I figure he has not been out there that much longer than me, so why wasn't I finding him? I actually got an early start today. I finally texted him and asked about a couple of landmarks. That is when he told me he was on 209! Bummer! He did find some interesting things on that road, and it was definitely a better road to run on than 248. So, I had to drive and pick him up to get him on the route. Here are a couple of those things he found simply by going the wrong way.

The Lehigh River at dawn. 

Beagles are popular.
                 


Add caption
                     


A herd of statuary sheep!
                     

I thought the dino was pretty cute! A kid's project.

                           

Statue of a skunk for yard art?

                 

Now this is just plain creepy!

They planted their front yard in pumpkins.
                       

I like this one, bear and a bee hive.

At least once I got Jeff on the correct road, down the correct number of miles, the road became more accessible.



There were a few other oddities along the route, as well. People really love their yard art here. It seems to be a way to express their personality. Our HOA would never allow most of the things we've seen. We have a limit as to how many things you can have in your landscape, and certain things that are not allowed at all. Like wind chimes! We live in a retirement community.... most people have partial hearing loss! Lol.... I love the sound of chimes, and am sad we can't have them there. I bet they would be ok in a bungalow in Costa Rica!


                         


                           


Love the flip flop wreath!
                           


Awww... Happy face!

All the buildings in this town, Bath I think, had the same cellar grate.
                       

Huge gargoyle!
So, we did go through Bath, among others. It was a cute town. The biggest issue I have with these towns is that there is no room on the road for me and the Big Beast! The houses have no set back, so they are usually right up against the road. There will be no widening.... ever. The houses are very close together, and many are in the same building. Like a duplex, I guess. Or a row house.


                     


                  

Loved this! We have seen so many Oz references.

The last town in Pennsylvania, Easton, was like another country to me. I guess we have really arrived in the east, as things are just stacked on one another. At least there were numerous parking spots along the road, but there had to be several in a row for me to get in. I just didn't want to parallel park that Beast! It was sure convenient, though, although it did cost me twice as I used up 2 meters worth of space. Anyway, this town, and Phillipsburg, NJ, across the Delaware River both have the same war memorial, but it is smaller on one side of the river, and only addresses the Civil War. (Why in the world it is called that..... there was nothing civil about it!)


                   


                      


                


                   


They wouldn't let me cross on the same bridge that Jeff used, I guess I was too big? Anyway, I snaked around and found him on the opposite side easily. Once in New Jersey, Jeff came across these firefighters at their station. Apparently, New Jersey has the highest percentage of volunteer firefighter vs. paid than any other state.



The terrain in New Jersey didn't really change much at first. The population and housing sure did! And there is literally no place for me to park.There is so much traffic that even a little side street is busy, and they are very very fond of NO PARKING signs! I guess when the population is this dense, you have to draw the line somewhere!

We saw some really cool homes out in the semi-rural areas, too. I really liked the one that looks like a 100 year old barn conversion!


                   


                   


                         


                   


Then there was the housing in the more populace areas! We saw a LOT of this all through this region.



We finally decided to stop in Phillipsburg as we came across a big Walmart Super Center. They make it so easy! There are literally NO RV campgrounds in this part of the state. I know, I have been looking for a place to dump everywhere!

This was one of those banner days for the Mailbox of the Day shot! I love some of the originality!


               


                      









No comments:

Post a Comment