Sunday, September 7, 2014

September 6, Less Than 200 Miles!

Jeff got a pretty good start for the day, and once I got everything done at the RV park, you know, the usual, I took out after him. I was looking for a laundromat along the way. Googled it, and found one just slightly off the route in Danville. The laundromats have been so nice lately, too. This one also had a tanning salon attached. I have seen that once before, near Purdue University. The day I met the lady with the pet rooster. Anyway, I had to cross over the Susquehana River from Danville to get there. What a beautiful river! Every time I have seen it, I think the same thing.


This was across the street from the laundry. 
               
Jeff actually slightly bypassed Danville. He got into the city limits then hung a left that took him back out. But, while there he did manage to find a diner with pie! Wish I could eat like he does. Of course, he is burning thousands of calories each day. I'm not that dedicated. So, while I was passing back through Danville, I took a couple of pics of the town. It was a cool little town right on the river. And there was a street festival going on that made it tough for me to navigate.


                    

The really nice county courthouse!

                      

I think this house is now an apartment building.

I loved the little fireman statuary outside the firehouse.
               


             


Coal is really a big thing in this region.
                 
The small towns are getting closer together now. The next one we went through of note was Bloomsburg. They had a small university there, Bloomsburg University. As well as a couple of interesting things.


This is the kind of building I expected to find at Purdue.
               


                      




                


Firefighter lives here.
             


Driving on through the countryside, we saw much more of the same. The country is still beautiful! We had some storms forecast for the evening, but most of the day was partly cloudy and muggy.


This was decorating someones front yard.
                   

Competition for Robson Ranch. The homes looked
small and very nice.

The water has gotten mostly clear again.
                   
Jeff ran into a family that was on their way home from a church function. They gave him their take home dessert! Jeff loves a good dessert!


                    


We were in Mainville when the bottom dropped out. Actually, I was sitting there waiting for Jeff to come along, when the cloud to ground lightning started up. It wasn't raining too hard yet, but I didn't feel comfortable with him running on the top of a mountain with that much lightning, so I drove half a mile back and picked him up. Just in time! The bottom actually did drop out! With no place to park there for the night, I thought I'd take us just down the road to somewhere we could stop. It was close to dark, and the clouds certainly made it worse! So, driving the RV on a little 2 lane mountain road, in the pouring rain, was a bit tough. I ended up pulling off on a wide shoulder when I just couldn't see any longer. Once the heavy rain let up, I went on, still looking for a parking spot. At some point, we realized that I had gone right when I should have gone left, and had to back track a couple miles. It ended up being a good thing, though, as the road we were supposed to be on had a bar (yes, in the middle of nowhere on the mountain!) with a nice gravel area across the street that I pulled into. The bartender came out with garbage, and told us that he'd had a big rig sink in that gravel spot once, but we watched it for a while and determined that it was solid enough for us! The really nice thing about this rain was that it brought cooler temperatures for the remainder of the journey!


Jeff is still having trouble uploading pics for me to use, but there is a Mailbox of the Day!

I just wonder if that is an operating fire plug?








2 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog since Jeff ran by my house in findlay ohio. god bless you both, I've been praying he will make it in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We should arrive tomorrow afternoon in Jersey City, where our RV park reservation is. That will allow us to cross the river early the next morning.

      Delete