Thursday, September 4, 2014

September 3, Loved Brookville

After squeaking by on propane last night I made it my priority to find propane. Of course I went to google first. Google directed me to a town we had bypassed that was about 10 miles back. Off I go, knowing Jeff has pretty much everything he needs for a while. When I arrived, it was a 7-11! Ok, so they had bottles. Not what I needed. Got back on the smart phone. I started calling some of the listed places in the vicinity. Nothing in the towns we were headed for, or in.... Guess what? All the numbers I called had been disconnected. One worked, but it was apparently a delivery service that was based in the next county south. I was really discouraged.  In order to catch up with Jeff, I jumped on the interstate which was roughly running parallel to us, and headed east. The exit I was taking just happened to have a Flying J, which did not come up on any of my searches for either propane or an RV dump site. They had both! And, I managed to get a load of clothes washed at the little laundry there, too! All in all, it worked out really well.

When I finally caught up with Jeff, he was in Brookville. Historic downtown Brookville. What a really pretty and unique town! While walking through taking pics, Jeff came across a guy at a coffee shop on Main Street. They got to talking, and the guy was a consultant that was largely instrumental in obtaining grants and things to take that town and community up a notch. And wow, he really did! He had also applied with Denton, Texas... they didn't want to pay him what he wanted. Big mistake, Denton. Huge!


                   


                          


                      


                    


He got a tour of the old Opera house. It still has the
original gas stage lighting and chandelier!
                 







Bruce Sykes from Brookville.

I know I have been impressed by many of the small towns. Some are just dumpy, and no one seems to care. But this one was definitely full of people that cared to make their small town into something special. So if you ever have a chance to visit Brookville, PA, don't hesitate! Their mainstreet area is great!

Along the way we found many interesting things. No shortage of those on back highway America! I have to admit that we are not finding the interesting things ON the side of the road any longer. Not nearly what we did in the west.

Found this guy on the top of a mountain!

The carved eagle is  standard here. This is lumber
country.
                   

I think Charlie lives here.

Not sure why this really old headstone is on the
side of the road. Probably vandalism. SMH.
                       

Pretty little gate... but where is the fence?

Still too early..  apparently the snake agrees!
                     

With all his recent Facebook woes, Jeff needs to
attend this!

                     



I told you I would get that great view of the valley pic eventually. The biggest issue is not the views, but getting access to them! I really have to rely on Jeff to take most of our pics. Then his Facebook account screws them up somehow! We are still struggling with that.


The above ground pool is VERY popular out here!
             


                

We have found some surprising signs along the road, as well.


I knew we had periodic route issues,
but Oklahoma??

And I truly did not expect to find myself in Oz.
Wonder if that is Dorothy's house?
                             

The snow plows have knocked this one smooth over!

The houses continue to intrigue us. You may be getting tired of seeing these things, but I have to say that we are finding more and more of them, as we move further east. There is such a range of styles and colors!

I liked this little garage/barn. 

Someone knocked it's top!
                     


                

Might be a money pit!

                    

Reminds me of Georgetown.

                 



Once again, I looked ahead on google. Having taken care of our immediate needs in the morning, I began to look for a place to stay for the night. Contrary to what you, and I, might think, there are not a lot of RV parks in this part of the country! And, the ones that are out there, are not on our route. However, I dug around and found some information about a county fairground in Clearview, Clearview county. It showed up on some site.... I didn't go ahead to check it out, so by the time we were entering Clearview, it was full dark. The fairground was maybe a block off the highway we were traveling on, so Jeff hopped in and we went "off route". It was very dark, and very deserted! We saw the livestock buildings right away, and then it seemed we were out of the park. While trying to figure it out on the internet, we saw another camper drive by. So, I followed them. They were going home! Their house was a block out of the fairground, and that got us nowhere. Circling around again, Jeff thought he saw some posts in a field behind the barns. There was no road, really, just drive on the grass? So I drove through a break in the fence, and sure enough, there were RV hook-ups! We did figure that they might be turned off, but no, everything worked like a charm! It was quiet and dark, and no one bothered us all night!

Mailboxes! Of course we have mailboxes today....


             












No comments:

Post a Comment