Saturday, September 13, 2014

September 13, Rainy Trail Marathon

We left out of the camp ground early enough to get over to where the race was being held, get registered, and meet Diane. Registration was easy. I decided to do the 10K, simply because I had not had time to do anything in a few days. I figured it was a trail, and I would walk it. It was a very crisp morning, I think around 45 degrees, and cloudy. They were expecting rain later, around noon. I figured I would be done by then, but no way would Jeff be done! We got some pics taken before the race started.


                   



Just before the start!
             
The entire field with all 4 races, was probably less than 100. When the gun went off, I got left behind really quickly! There was not another walker in any race. So, after about 10 minutes, I had the trail to myself! It was really cool. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed my morning! There were a number of wild flowers along the trails, when we broke out of the trees. It was a pretty diverse trail. Not too technical, and for being on a mountain, relatively flat! There were roots and rocks, so you still had to pay attention. Even walking, a couple of them surprised me!


                   


                      


                 

Some people got lost. I think the course was well
marked.

                 


                     


Just as I got to the finish line, the sprinkling began. By the time I reached the RV, it was raining. Not a torrential rain, but a steady rain. I knew Jeff's feet were already terribly bruised and sore, so I knew he was not going to enjoy the trail in the rain. I took my shower and relaxed to wait for him to finish.


             

While he was out there he was making friends. These guys are the ones that designed the course.


And, he was able to get a few pics before the rain got so bad he had to bag his phone! I love the ones where he was at the over look, looking down on the clouds!


                    


              


When he got done, he grabbed some food, and climbed into the RV, where I had the heater going for him. I don't think it ever hit 60, which was forecast. Diane finished about the same time, which was nice.

We then headed up to an actual RV park, Arrowhead RV Park and Marina, on the Mohawk River. It is really pretty! Hopefully the weather will allow some pics tomorrow. We are staying here 2 nights.

It is a good thing that Jeff's license plate renewal is coming up. He really wants a new vanity plate! This is perfect for him!



After we got settled, we had a celebration dinner. And Jeff had wine! He is a happy camper now. I just hope he can move tomorrow!



1 comment:

  1. It turned out that my feet hurt way more than I thought...they had been sore running on the road for the last 1500 miles...the first 2000 miles were a cake walk! The rocks and mud were annoying...then it started to rain...and rain...and rain...and rain. We eventually were in the clouds which was pretty cool. I decided that I could barely stand so I told the volunteers that I'd drop to the marathon and let them get out of this horrible weather. It got so bad that I found that going down the middle of the creeks was the only hope...the river washed the mud away and you did not slip. I mean you could not get any wetter. What a miserable experience. I have not been so miserable since my prior runs...what the 100 miler at the Pistol was wet and miserable. The 314 miler Vol State was miserable as my feet were bleeding for the last week of that run...not to mention that I got lost and it turned out to be a bit longer for me.

    ReplyDelete