Tuesday, September 23, 2014

September 22, Newport, RI

Today was a day I visited 2 states I have never been in before! Really exciting! But first, I will share with you some pics of the campground we were at over night, the Pinewood Lodge and Campground. This was a wonderful campground, and it was quite large! It was in Plymouth, MA, and I highly recommend it if you are looking for an RV park in that area. They also have cabins that overlooked the lake there. When we got up this morning, Jeff went for a run, and I decided to take a walk around the grounds. I had no idea it was as large as it was. The guy said they had 300 site, and they were in excellent shape. And they had lots of amenities. I would go back there for a vacation!

All cozy in our site.

Loved the fire rings!
                 

I had my own road here, too.


Their little lake was very pretty. 
                       



We were still planning on visiting Newport, RI, so that Jeff could show me all the really big estate houses on the seashore there. It was a little confusing, as he wasn't really sure where the marathon had taken him, but eventually we figured it out. After stopping to do laundry and do a little grocery shopping. That is never ending!



The area we were heading to began on Bellevue Ave., which reminded me a lot of Highland Park with the ocean on the other side of the houses. In other words, it was really pretty. Having never really though much about RI, I didn't know what to expect at all. But it is just one huge port, basically. A very pretty huge port. I have always said that if you are going to live at the sea, you should be able to afford to actually hear the waves washing in. These homes pretty much fit that bill! However, I cannot afford real estate like that! We did find a couple of really cool and pretty parks right on the shore, and that was cool. I could sit in the benches all day long and watch the waves come in!

The commercial end of the avenue.

And the homes on the rocky coast are amazing!
                 


                  


                         


The stone is really interesting, too.
                 


                       

I would own that bench!

                 

We stopped for a bit on a sandy parking area to grill lunch. Then went on. I thought we were sort of done.... oh, no! There was more, much, much more! We found a state park that was out on a point of land, and quite popular. But, I was able to park there, also! You cannot imagine how exciting it is to actually find places to park the Big Beast!

Benches to watch the regatta.

This guy was nuts. He was on a go cart, powered by the wind.
               


I loved almost all the homes in this town that I saw!
                       
We finally began to meander out of that area, and were trying to find the way onto the big bridge over the bay.  I took an interesting turn, down what I thought was a road. I mean, it had a road sign! Got to the end, and discovered it was no more than an alley way. At least Jeff didn't take a pic while I was trying to make the corner, with cars and garage soffits to deal with!

That is the biggest bridge I have ever driven across!

Doesn't this look like a road?
               

Finally, we got there! It was $8 to cross.

On the way through the downtown area, we did get a couple other interesting pics.

A side view of their big central fire station.

A really cool church. I love the big construction!
                         

This was being converted to something. How cool!

A great view of the port area downtown.
                     

Just love the homes!

So many to choose from!
                 

This caboose was painted up....
Somewhere along the way, Jeff found another 26.2 mile marker!



The place we stopped for the night was very well hidden. In fact, the name was the Hidden Acres Campground. We drove for what seemed like forever down these narrow little roads, with quite a few houses on them, and those really cool stacked stone fences everywhere. Finally, we found it. It wasn't a huge campground, but it had what we needed. Including a peacock that wanted to eat all the bugs off our grill! They had goats, too. It looked like an interesting place.


          

Once we got settled and had a great dinner, Jeff had his nightly snack, and went to bed...

His new favorite! And It. Is. Awesome!


I am so excited to show you the mailbox of the day! I actually stopped in the road and sent Jeff back to get this one!









No comments:

Post a Comment