Monday, September 1, 2014

August 31, Into Pennsylvania

It rained most of the night. Consequently, Jeff tried to wait until the rain let up a bit. That put him in a mileage hole that he never came out of today. But on a happy note, the rain did eventually stop, and it wasn't a hard rain. Just a gentle, easy rain. However, I was not the one out running in it....

Our Army Corps campground, Mill Creek Campground at Berlin Lake, was just outside of Berlin Center. It was the first of many towns that we went through today. There were some mighty interesting things there. I would love to have the time to visit a bunch of the museums in this part of the country. There is such a rich history here. Funny, but I was never really a history buff, and I'm still not. But I find that the older I get, the more interesting history is.




               


                     


                         



Everywhere, there are American flags. And Uncle Sam is really popular here! As well he should be.


                    

It was truly amazing. As soon as we crossed the state line, the terrain changed as though someone flipped a switch. I kept seeing, as I was driving, these great views of hills and valleys off to my right. Of course, there was always someone right on my tail making a quick stop, especially in the RV, impossible. Sadly, Jeff's phone was running out of memory. I bet we get some of those shots later, though, as we get further into the Pennsylvania mountains.

The houses have not really changed much yet. But many of them are still amazing.

I love the bear tree trunk!

                

I stopped at a gravel parking lot to a business that was obviously closed for the weekend. It was a security system type business. As I sat there reading, a car pulled up, so I rolled down the window. This happens a lot, you know. People asking if I need help. (One guy even said was I sure? What? Really? Not really sure why that aggravated me, but it did.) Anyway, there was a man and a woman in the car. He rolled his window down and asked if I was in trouble. Went through my explanation, then he told me that I was setting off his alarms in his building! I was sitting in a gravel parking lot! This guy must be really good at what he does! I offered to move, there were plenty of other parking lots in the area. He said no, just don't move around until I leave! Hmmmm..... Wish I had gotten the name of the business. I felt bad about apparently causing them to have to get out on a holiday weekend evening just because I chose to park there.

We went through a town called Canfield, and next to it was Boardman. Both were fairly large little towns, with lots of modern shopping type places. I found a grocery with fresh fish! Pretty exciting, since I am used to having fish 3-4 nights a week, but on this trip the fish has been non-existent for the most part.


                    

No Starbucks for ages, but this guy has a coffee shop just coming
into Canfield. Nice guy, too!
 

Jeffs daily snack.


This was a banner day for mailboxes! One of them even deserves a double look to truly appreciate!


                


This is a blurry tree trunk, and the box is a log, with a maple leaf flag. Too cute.
                   








No comments:

Post a Comment