Monday, September 22, 2014

September 20, Mass Lobster

We didn't get out of the Sea-Vu RV park very early. I guess since we have no formal destination, at least for a couple more weeks, we are being pretty laid back about things. I did snap some pics of the "sea-vu" before leaving. It was a pretty nice little park, actually.

There we are, among the trees!

The sea view if you walked out far enough.
                 

We liked the fire mobile on this porch.
Interesting thing about these RV parks. There are sometimes more people living in them, in little buildings like the one pictured here, than there are transient RVer's. I'm not sure how they do that. You can always tell the "permanent" ones by the fixtures, outbuildings, decks, etc. When the RV park closes for the season, do they move? Do they pack up all the crap they have accumulated and store it or take it with them? All good questions, I guess.

When we left the Sea-Vu, our intention was to make it to Newburyport, MA, and have Massachusetts lobster. We were told by a friend that the lobster was just as good and less expensive in this area. Diane Bolton used to live in Boston when her husband played ball there, so we took her word for it and decided to compare.

We had a nice leisurely drive there, and grabbed a couple pics along the way.


                 


                    



I will say this now, before I forget. Massachusetts drivers are the worst I have dealt with all across the country! Before you blast me, I know that all are not. But I was honked out, given the finger wave, cut off, and generally treated very rudely on the roads there. People tailgated, swung around from behind, passed me on the right, and were general a$$holes! I have a friend that lives there and rides a Harley. NO WAY would I ever find myself on a motorcycle in Massachusetts. Ok, rant over.

We arrived at Newburyport a little before dinner time, so I suggested that maybe we find somewhere to take a walk. About that time, we saw a path and started looking for a place to park. We actually could find no parking lots, but the path had a name on Google, it was the Clipper City Rail Trail. So, we found a very large parking lot adjacent to it that was actually a skating rink which was not open, and parked. We headed back toward the bridge over the bay there. It was an old rail line, like the Katy Trail, only a bit better in my view. There were historical signs telling us about the railroad there and other interesting things along the way. It was a great little walk! It was nice to get out from behind the wheel for a bit.


There were interesting things along the trail,
such as this tea for two set!
                     

Wall art.

                     

Things for kids to play on.

                            


It lead right to the old train trestle.
                     

There was a mural under the bridge.

               

And the odd art piece here and there.

There were tons of colorful bird houses on the trail.
                 

These old stones were placed in the shape of a 5 point
star. They came from the old foundation I think.

Draw bridge up for the big sail!
               
And there was snow behind the skating rink! <wink, wink>



We also passed by this really interesting cemetery with a monument. There was no place to get to so that we could really find out more about it. I don't know what war it is even memorializing. But it was very cool to see.


The actual downtown area is a really great place to walk around. There was a public parking area that I was actually able to park at, and it was only $ .50! That was a bargain. We walked around a bit, visited the Boston Running Company there on the main road, and got some advice on where to go try Massachusetts lobster.


Starbucks! We didn't go, though....
                         


The museum had already closed.
                         


                        


Gorgeous flowers everywhere!
               
We finally made our way to the restaurant. We didn't pick the pricier suggestions, and its a good thing! I paid $3 less for 2 smaller lobsters than in Maine, so I don't think there is really a price incentive there. However, the smaller lobsters were very, very sweet and good. Although the wait staff did not offer to show me how to dismantle the lobster, or do it for me, as in Maine, I was able to do a pretty good job all by myself! Dinner was pretty good, and we also were able to sit outside overlooking the bay.


              


               


One other thing I should show you from Newburyport. This was the most awesome house, right in the downtown area! And while reading up a bit on the town, it seems that it is an architectural mecca for different styles of old homes. We noticed a ton of these 3 story ones!


              


We decided that we should try to head for a Walmart, since we stayed in an RV park the night before. After consulting with our book and google, we headed out. The closest one we could figure out was in Tewksbury,MA, off one of the interstates. There were no other RVer's there, but there were no signs telling us no, and there were a few truckers settled in. It worked out well.

Oh, and I almost forgot..... wait for it...... don't peek! One of my favorite Mailbox of the Day shots!












No comments:

Post a Comment