Wednesday, September 3, 2014

September 2, Nowhere to Stay

It was great being at an RV park, so that I could get all the little things done that need doing in the morning. I had also planned on filling the propane tank, but they didn't have anyone available to operate the fill station. Bummer. So, I then checked the truck stop on the interstate. Nothing. They suggested the Exxon, but they didn't have any, either. Strike three, so I'm going on up the road. We are skirting empty, but I have faith that we will pass somewhere that has it today.

Neither of us made it actually into Emlenton. Since we discovered the road was closed that was our route out, we had to regroup a bit. Wish we had known this before we went north to the area. Jeff got an early start out as he had to back-track to SR 58 and head east on that. I had no trouble finding him. The road was nearly deserted. It wasn't until we took a turn onto another SR that traffic got worse, with no shoulder to speak of.


          
Early morning traffic!



I still can't believe how beautiful the scenery is here! There seems to be a mixture of older houses, some really old, and then new frame constructed stuff. They all seem to adhere to the principle that the barn should be bigger than the house! Every now and then that isn't true, though.... There are basically 2 reasons why I could not live here. One, it is too remote and there are no Central Markets, and two, WINTER!



                  


There is so much creativity out here! The people just love to make little spots in their yards with all kinds of things. Uncle Sam is very popular, as I think I have mentioned. There are 2 more for today!

Uncle Sam on the front porch.

Dolphins and wagon wheels? Missed that connection!
           


There is an Uncle Sam by the flag pole. 

Good way to display house numbers. I wouldn't think to look there!
             

They had a collection of big cats.

The pipe smoking guy with the hat is more prevalent here
than the cowboy....
           


Jeff also managed to make friends with a beagle. He said there were 2 neighbors that both had multiple beagles. They barked a lot!


Of course we went through several little towns. I didn't even notice all of them. Many of them don't really have towns associated with their name. Gosh, did I say that yesterday? You would not believe how things are beginning to run together! I struggle for something interesting to say everyday. And it's funny, I can always think of things when I am away from the computer.Once I sit down to blog, it is all gone. It's maddening.

Foxburg was interesting.

                 

The oldest golf course in America!

                


              


Neither of us saw anything Irish in the town.
                 



And, adding to the stuff we see on the side of the road. This one I found very hilarious. Reminded me of our friend, Rick.


Wonder if they just want the old wood? Interesting bandit sign.
               
I have forgotten about the rivers! The Allegheny, which was the reason we had to back-track a bit, was just gorgeous! Of course, I was way high, as I crossed on the interstate, but Jeff crossed it on another bridge. He said it actually smelled like sewage a bit. Wow, big river to actually have a smell like that! The other one, not sure what it was called as the bridges never said, wasn't quite as large, but equally as beautiful. My issue there was the bridge that I had to drive across! Teeny short side walls, and it was just a metal grate. I held my breath the whole way across.

Notice the hills.

                      

Jeff looked down!

By sundown, we were ready to call it quits for the day. There were absolutely no camping areas in the vicinity, so I scouted ahead to a little town called Corsica to see if I could find a wide spot. There was nothing in that town, although it was technically on the interstate. There was even an exit. But they didn't have so much as a convenience store! I found an abandoned gas station really close to the interstate, right across the street from the post office. It was pretty unsightly, and I was surprised that the people living adjacent to it did not insist it be torn down or something. My guess would be there are probably even still gas tanks in the ground, leaking. But, it was quiet, we managed to cook our meal and get some decent sleep. Even though I never found a source of propane, there was enough apparently to grill and heat water. Thankfully!

With all of these creative people along the highway, there is no way we are not getting a Mailbox of the Day!

The log cabin is a new theme.

The beagle people.
                 


Fishing is popular! 
             











No comments:

Post a Comment