Monday, June 2, 2014

Musings from Jeff

So today started out pretty good. I don't think Jeff felt good this morning, though, as he was really procrastinating getting out the door. I would have preferred a shower early this morning, too, but it had to wait.

I found a really cool country store in Mapleton, where the owner, Mike Goodman, was actually from the Carolina's. He lived in both, so that is an easy way to put it! Anyway, I got some great coffee there, and really good fresh made breakfast. Took a burrito back to Jeff. We ended up stopping there for lunch, as well. He actually gave Jeff a free cup of sherbert! Nice guy....

So if you are ever in Mapleton, OR, stop in to the store and deli at the turn, and say hi to Mike!

I spent the day leap frogging Jeff, every few miles. I would have to find a place to park that Big Beast.... a tough windy mountain highway with small shoulders and plenty of lumber trucks. But I managed. During that area, we had absolutely no coverage for the phone. So, I passed the time by reading, and boredom eating. I have to stop the boredom eating! Anyway, didn't know there were any problems with our business issues back home until I got back in range and got my messages. Really put me in a bummer of a mood.

Had to drive much further to find an RV park than expected, too. There were thousands of RV parks on the coast of Oregon, but here in the mid section, not so much..... we had to drive about 14 miles out of the way for this one.

Here are some of Jeff's thoughts for the day, which I stole off the Facebook page. It is for those of you that do not have Facebook! Lol....

"I am tired and incredibly frustrated. Linda is even more frustrated. Now is where giving up those three weeks to participate in Carry the Load eliminates our option to spend a day in Eugene to work on some of our issues. We may have to just take a day and hope for better days down the road. If we had a backup for Linda I'd send her home for a week. Not an option. So we add a touch more risk and blow off a day to work on problems back home.
Today we met a nice guy in mapleton. He made great food. We had breakfast and lunch from him...and ice cream.
I stopped into a bank today. Talk about country. The tellers were at desks with their money right there. Should have guessed. I was throwing out some trash at a Walmart in some bigger hick town. When I looked up I noticed that the unoccupied checkout line had a full cash drawer sitting on the belt. Whatever, the teller told me that I had been seen running up the coast over the weekend and they wondered what it was all about. Even on bad days I have fun interacting with people. Talked to a school bus driver today as well.
My parents flew home today. They drove down the hiway that I was running in, but we did not connect. I must have been hiding in the bushes. It wasn't one of my better mornings. I finally came alive about two...then I got hot ands struggled on in. I had decided to quit at four so that I could get tomorrow set up as I getting near Eugene. I stopped at four, but life happened and no calls were made. We need an administrative assistant to travel with us. We just can't seem to get anything done.
I did see my brother in law. He drove back to say hi. The rest of my family had a plane to catch so I had one shot to see them and I blew it. Like I said, frustrating day.
‪#‎runacrossamerica‬"

And here's more!

"Today I had some more twist to the hills. The first car that came close was a state trooper that was rounding the curve in the shoulder. Two foot shoulder, he is a foot into it and had a nine inch mirror. I was hoping that he had a dash cam to catch him splatting me into the rock wall, but being a trained professional he missed me. Next I tried to kill a poor guy. He was riding his motorcycle and was coming around the corner into shoulder. Amazing how he pulled the bike up and got out of his line and back into the lane. Great driving. I thought that he was going go down. I just can't wait for the Rockies! I have just been so out of sync today with the rest of the world. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back in my grove if I bother to run at all."

I do worry quite a bit about Jeff running on those roads. Today, I made him ride through a tunnel with little side clearance. It was very short, and he thought it was silly. But, I won! Lol.... I still worry.... All I can do is pray that he is safe. He's made it to the ripe old age of 59 in a few short weeks!




No comments:

Post a Comment