Wednesday, June 25, 2014

June 25, Arco

Today was a truly phenomenal day! We didn't know how good it would be when we first got up this morning. Jeff was out of here before 6 am, so of course, I went back to sleep. Since we are in a very nice RV park, I felt ok sleeping in. And it was great. Had some great dreams, too. Not that I could remember them or even begin to put them in words. So, I got up about 7:30.

Here are a few shots of the Mountain View RV Park in Arco, Idaho. Very nice people. One of the owners, Phyllis, said they have owned it for 13 days! How exciting for them!


That is us, of course!
Since we are staying here again tonight, I didn't have to do anything other than unhook and head out. After my shower and breakfast, of course. My first goal was to get some ice. We are averaging about 2 bags a day, between the two of us. That was a bit harder than I first imagined, because the convenience store/gas station we passed on the way into town, was shut down. So, I back tracked into town, and found one. I also managed to find a grocery store for later.

The town is pretty interesting, as they all really are. This one is close to the lava fields, so many of the old masonry buildings are actually made with lava rock. There are also the random painting on the side of a building, which I have no pictures of.

This is an old church made of stone.
This guy stands guard at the Trading Post.

Headed on out. Since Jeff stopped running yesterday about 30 miles from town, and we drove in, he had to run back that 30 miles. I intercepted him at about mile 11, and took him all the way to the "start" for the day. Then he ran back the rest, with the wind at his back! So, here is why today was such an amazing day. It stayed a bit cooler than it has been, there was quite a bit of cloud cover, without it being oppressive, and the breeze (or tail wind, as Jeff likes to say) was cooling and helpful. Jeff was actually hear to say that today was a cake walk.... I won't go that far, but I did enjoy my couple of miles. Running has never been a cake walk for me! Lol....

Here is the Road Ahead pic of the day....long and straight, mostly flat, with mountains off in the distance.



However, we were still in the lava. So, we have more pictures of the lava for your viewing pleasure!

I took this with my iPhone.
And this one. I loved the twisty pine!


 

Lovely yellow flowers are popping up all through the lava.

Jeff made a couple of friends today, as usual. The first was a farmer in the area by the name of Junior. It seems they had quite a lot to talk about!

Jeff said he spent about an hour talking to Junior. However, I think he might have exaggerated just a bit. I think that simply because of the number of miles he covered before I caught up to him.

Then later, he had a couple bring him by some grapes and water. These two deliver RV's to different parts of the country. What a cool thing to do! They had passed him up, then went back. Pretty nice, huh?



Meanwhile, back at the RV, Zada makes good use of every opportunity. If she is left alone (without human supervision) for even an minute and not crated, she goes shopping. Usually, it is a wrapper or piece of kleenex. Today, she decided that the quarters in the paper wrapping must be good pickins, although she ended up leaving them there. Guess the metallic taste didn't do much for her!

Zada's haul for today. Half a roll of quarters!

Then there is Pinkie, who just sleeps all the time!
So I'm really wondering if the things I talk about are interesting to anyone. I hardly ever get comments, so I don't actually have any feedback as of yet. Are the pictures interesting? Is our routine getting boring? I know there are some people reading, so please let me know if there are any thoughts out there! And don't forget to have your friends and family follow us!

So, I was not sure there would be a Mailbox of the Day, since we were in the lava with no houses. However, Jeff was able to find one. At the little airport.... Good job, Jeff!




3 comments:

  1. Linda, thank you so much for sharing this journey, I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. The funny mailboxes are entertaining as well. Keep up the good work, I look forward to each entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda and Jeff,

    The blog is great and so are the pictures. It is a great way to keep up with both of you. I am so glad Jeff is not having any major problems. I hope you are saving the photos as it would make for a great photo album/story.

    "May the wind be always at your backs". ��

    Gary Geiser

    ReplyDelete
  3. I check on here every few days and love your blog and of course the pictures. For most of us we will never pass that way, so it is interesting to know what is really out there!
    Keep up the good work!
    Teresa Linder

    ReplyDelete