Tuesday, June 24, 2014

June 24, Craters of the Moon

Jeff got a very early start from the side of the road this morning, and I got up at the same time. I really wouldn't be comfortable sleeping on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, by myself! It was a beautiful morning, though, and worth being up for.

Last night, on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, with no farms or ranches nearby, no towns to speak of, and nothing but quiet desert around us, it was pretty amazing! We have a big picture window right by the bed, and since it was a bit warm, we had the window open wide and the curtain pulled up. The stars were amazing! It was just like someone had thrown diamonds on a background of black velvet! There was no moon, so there was nothing at all to compete with the starlight. I fell asleep gazing at the stars.

There has been some change in the terrain as we go along. We are seeing mountains again, and have moved out of crop areas.

 
We also came across this really pretty pond outside of Carey. Carey was something of an interesting town. It only boasts about 600 people, but they had a bank, 2 convenience stores with gas and groceries, auto parts store, and what seemed to be a lot of housing for just 600! We actually ate lunch at the grill at one of the convenience stores, and I was also able to dump the tanks and refill the fresh water tank. And there was no charge! It was a great little place, Sinclair, you know the one with the green dinosaur? And we were able to stock up on ice cream for Jeff! Blue Bunny!

This was the cute sign leaving town.


Of course they had a fire station!

I think they might need some new equipment!
 Jeff didn't visit the fire station in this town. I went back to see if they had a laudromat, but no luck. I did get quarters at the Ireland Bank...

So mostly today was about the roads. The road ahead has been changing. That is me in the RV sitting up ahead of Jeff, waiting for him.






In fact, today we made it to the Craters of the Moon National Monument. Basically, this is a lava flow. And another interesting thing to me is that the Oregon Trail came right through it. I cannot imagine how difficult it must have been to travel in wagons with livestock over those jagged lava fields.

 

 


Zilly and Zada seem to be enjoying themselves. Pinkie is pretty much sleeping all the time. She is just old and crotchety. But she is eating quite well, although she is skin and bones! I worry about her a bit. Even with the crate on the broken down dining table, they still try to spend most of their time on the couch. Which of course is our only place to sit, since the dining table has been broken down to a platform to put the dog crate on!




I watch the ground now while I'm doing my couple of miles, hoping to find something as cool and interesting as that guy yesterday and his jewelry. The best I could do today was a CB radio. I imagine that someone got PO'd, and threw it out the window! It was just out among some sage brush, wires still attached!



Seeing as how we were running farther and farther from towns of any size, and getting away from the farms and such, I was really worried that Jeff would not be able to find a decent Mailbox of the Day. Boy, was I wrong! He found some really cool ones. So, once again, I will leave you with the Mailboxes of the Day!

Look closely to the left... he cut the mail box out...


Today's favorite!






No comments:

Post a Comment