Friday, June 20, 2014

June 20, Mountain Home

This morning there was not much to do as far as breaking camp. I never really went back to sleep after Jeff left on his run, so I got on up and got everything together. Took the dogs out... well, that is pretty much it. Since we were self sustained and not plugged in anywhere, there was nothing to do but bring the slides in and go! Staying over night in the rest area turned out pretty good. There was a bit of noise from the big rigs, but it didn't seem to bother us.

The last conversation I remember having with Jeff last night regarding our choice of routes today, was that he was going to go straight up I 84 until we got to a spot that we could get on side roads again. So, I drove up the interstate looking for him. About 8 miles up, I came across a truck stop, the Stage Stop. I needed coffee still, since I hadn't started the generator just to make coffee. I stopped, and texted him to see if there was anything he might like. I get back a message, which was lucky as it seems, since he had spotty coverage out where he was. He asks if I thought he was on the interstate? Of course I did! Well, evidently he made a decision to change his route, and check out the roads off to the east of the interstate, where the Oregon Trail went up by the base of the hills.  
If he'd gone much farther, and had no coverage, I would never have found him! Got my coffee and headed out to where he said he had gone. About 7 miles down this road that was heading towards the foot hills, I come across him and another guy, running TOWARDS me.... this is strange! I stopped, and he began to tell me about meeting this runner who lives up the road, and is discouraging him from his chosen route. Too many small gravel roads, down which I would have to take the RV. He did have an alternate route for us, though, so we got some pics, and Jeff hopped in to go to the other road he recommended.


In order to get to the new route, we had to go back to the exit that the Stage Stop was at. Jeff thought he might go in and see if they had ice cream, but we ended up having breakfast in the little cafe there, instead.



Can you see the pie counter in the background? He had breakfast dessert, a piece of blueberry pie!

Interesting thing about this new route, which was the old highway for a long distance, is that it didn't come up on any of our mapping systems. Not google, not Map my Run. But it was a decent road, and there were some very interesting things on the route!
No traffic but a group of old convertibles cruising.
Some Idahoian ingenuity!
More lovely horses.

Not sure when Snoopy moved out here.


A couple of lazy llamas.
I guess when their ship came in, they let it rot. They do have an old fire engine, though!


Speaking of fire engines, in the middle of NOWHERE, there is a fire station.

And they have a Chief's car!

The dogs had a hissy fit when they spied these guys out the window. The birds came to the fence to see what all the ruckus was!
And today was the first day that I have gotten my feet on the road. I did about 2 1/2 miles, which isn't really much, but I have to start somewhere. My plan is to do a mile, and while I am out there, Jeff drives up a mile and then rests. He is putting in so many miles on his feet! And his rest stops tend to drag on while he takes his shoes off, has a snack, etc. This way, we can get some extra miles in for the day AND he can get those good rest periods! And, I can get some miles on my feet. I also started my squat and push up challenge. I have yet to do the planks, since when I did the other, we were not level, as I was on a shoulder and there was a good tilt to the floor. But at least I got something started! I have been way to lazy and bored. Not to mention eating junk!

But, we made it to Mountain Home, and actually managed to find the Mountain Home RV Park. It is a really nice one!

 

They even have a beautiful rose garden planted as you drive into the park. That is us, parked in our slot! Very nice concrete slabs with lots of grass, and a nice picnic table.

Mountain Home has a couple of interesting things.

I found it humorous that they put a whole new spin
on "painting plugs"!
The area seems to have a lot of old military
aircraft. We saw the same thing in Nampa.


This is a really cute little house. There are lots of cute little houses in these towns!

So tomorrow we have another issue with roads, and how to stay off the interstate. Hopefully we can find something that works. Without my losing Jeff again!

And in closing for today, since it is late. I will leave you with the mailboxes of the day!

 











3 comments:

  1. Linda,
    Donna Lacker Cameron here! Enjoying watching your progress and reading your comments....as you get closer to Rupert we will catch up to you. You are welcome to stay at our house and rest...have electricity and a full size shower! Look forward to seeing you and catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that sounds great, Donna. Tomorrow we are staying in Gooding with some friends of Jeff's sister. I don't know the rest of the schedule exactly. We are covering about 35 miles per day.

      Delete
  2. That should put you in our area about Tuesday! So we'll watch for you and look forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete