Thursday, June 19, 2014

June 19, Trying to Leave Boise

Started the day off with a bang.... Jeff got a fairly early start, leaving me to sleep a bit more. I wasn't really able to doze back off, so ended up getting up to shower, make my coffee, and break camp. Since the black water was showing E still, but grey was 3/4, I was only going to dump the grey and head out.  Took off the cap on the sewage discharge, and all this icky blue water with a chemical smell and little bits of paper came pouring out! Apparently yesterday when I flushed it, I forgot to close the dang valve.... that left me with having to clean up the mess, rinse out the compartment, rinse the ground, and rinse my shoes. I won't make THAT mistake again! No, I did not take any pics.... ;)


Here is a bit from Jeff's Facebook page:

Interesting day. People saw the news shows and greetings were arranged. It was fun. Met a couple of Boise fire crews as well. 
That is the good. The other is a bit more interesting. The 90 degree weather was ok, but my route ended. They had plowed up my road. I am stuck on the side of the freeway like five miles below the airport. Oh, add a small blister on each foot. A great day has turned interesting to say the least. So we went to a rest stop for the night to replan. Map shows no roads. Not good. Goggle wants me to walk the Oregon trail. As fun as walking the Oregon trail would be we may be adding a day and going back up and around. I am really worried about Colorado. Always have been worried about getting through Colorado. We put too many restrictions on who we wanted to visit, and where we wanted to go. The route remains troublesome. Feet don't fail me now!

So, you see what I mean when I say "Trying to Leave Boise"! The roads on Google map do not exist. There are a couple of choices. One, power up the interstate (I can't see how they could mind seeing as how they took the other roads away!). Two, backtrack to the other side of Boise and go south, which adds a bunch of unnecessary miles. Three, skip visiting some relatives that have been expecting us in Gooding, and route north through the foothills. Four, take a bunch of gravel/dirt roads and hope it works out. Still not sure what tactic he will decide to use.

Out there are dirt roads that Google wants to send us on, including the Oregon Trail


We also showed up at the only RV park south of town, only to find they had no vacancies. You would think it would be an easy thing to just call ahead and make a reservation. However, it is somewhat difficult to actually predict where we will be and when. Which is why we are now sitting in a rest area with a few truckers. We did manage to grill our dinner, and we don't feel the need to be quiet and not run the generator, seeing as how the big rigs are pretty noisy! We plan on sleeping here until early morning, and then heading out. I think the rule is you can stay up to 8 hours on an interstate. At least that is what we have read.

And, the sunset here is amazing! I guess this is the first one we have had big enough sky to actually view. So, it is a good thing we are not in an RV park, surrounded by other RV's and a bunch of trees. We would never have seen the sunset!


Notice the big rigs at the rest stop












We ran into Boise Truck 5 at the memorial. They were filling air bottles, I think they said. Or maybe filling in.... Actually, maybe even both. They were really nice. They tried to play with Zada and Zilly, too. And they were really complimentary about Pinkie.


The guys from Truck 5!
Jeff visited a couple more firefighters and fire stations during the day. He just loves talking to people! We may never get to NYC!



 

 I love some of the things that he comes across during the day as he jogs through these towns. People really sometimes have a great sense of humor. Or maybe they are just weird.... who knows? It is entertaining. Sadly, while driving, most of these things go unnoticed.

 

This is across the street from the Kit Kat Klub, also!

Is the Place for ME!

Huh?
 

 

Painted Control Boxes!


There is also really great scenery here. Right now, the Boise valley seems to be somewhat arid and much like the high desert of Oregon. But there is always something beautiful in the desert!

The Boise River
 


Since I am running out of battery power for the laptop, and I need to shut the generator down, I will leave you with Jeff's Mailboxes of the Day!










No comments:

Post a Comment