Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July 9, Dinosaur Bones


Today started much like any other so far. Jeff left early (not as early as he'd like, it seems) and I slept another hour and then broke camp. Had to go get cash at 7-11, coffee and a breakfast sandwich for Jeff, and groceries at the local Kroger type store. I got 2 10 pound bags of ice, and they are now completely gone....

I mentioned that we stayed at an RV park last night. Jeff is always good about recording things as he goes, which means that we now have a pic of the RV park.




I think I mentioned yesterday what a cool little town Vernal was. Of course, it seemed like it was all about the dinosaurs, but it did look like they had a rousing 4th of July Celebration.

 



The whole town was decorated with the same flower pots!


Ok, they did give a nod to their human past.
 

 

And sometimes the bears won over the dinosaurs!

 Vernal also had a really nice Veteran's Memorial, and it looked like they were having some kind of bazaar there as well, with lots of little booths and tables.

 

They had a nice stone pedestal like this for
all the wars.
 


From Facebook, I found out that Jeff didn't feel that great today. Of course, when I ask him how he's doing, he simply says "fine", or sometimes even "great". Now I know not to believe him! Anyway, since he wasn't feeling well, I decided to take an extra turn, which ended up giving me 6 miles. And it was hot out there today! I was really wilting after my turn, during which I mostly walked today. My legs were pretty tight after just coming out of the mountains with all the ups and downs there, although Jeff mostly did the up hills.

Anyway, my other plan was to take a side trip to the Dinosaur Valley National Monument, where they have the "Quarry" of dinosaur bones. It was really cool!

The entrance to the Visitor Center.
You too can own your very own.... casting.


Andrew Carnegie bank-rolled the expedition in the beginning.


Yep, real dinosaur fossils.
The quarry, as they call it, has a building built
around it.





The real deal.






Interesting trivia.

A casting of the Allosaurus.
A spiny formation they call the stegesaurus.



Add caption












More trivia.









In place in the quarry wall.









They had students in there working while the visitors came.
In the air conditioning! 
Of course we had to touch the old fossils. 


They had a shuttle that drove us from the Visitor Center to the actual quarry. This is Debbie, she drove the shuttle. It is her summer job, as she is a teacher. She was excited about our quest.






And there was no lack of scenery shots, either, even though this is pretty desolate out here!















We even got a token river shot, another part of the Green River.


So as you know, I am always on the lookout of the side of the road while out there on foot, waiting for that Rolex watch to pop up. I don't find much of interest. Today, I followed an orange string for over a mile. I couldn't explain that one. And a trail of Chicklets gum pieces, that were still whole. Jeff, on the other hand, finds much more interesting items. Today, he found 2 golf balls, in the middle of nowhere, and a couple of stuffed animals.

 

 

I did find some very pretty horses, though. They even sniffed my hand and let me pet their noses!




We got a number of Flower of the Day pics, as well. I think we are both looking for the beauty out here!




I am surprised that there was actually so much to relay today, seeing as how we are really nowhere! We did end up making it to the Colorado border, and are spending the night on a gravel road that goes up to a ridge. We are still right off the highway, though, and can hear the traffic.

While I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for Jeff, the Chief of the Jensen Fire Department drove up to see what we are doing. He saw the window ad that we have on the rear window of the coach. Todd Wallis, a very nice guy! He even told me to feel free to go park at the fire station, which was just a block ahead. They are volunteer, so it wasn't staffed at the moment, but it was nice to get off the shoulder. Thanks, Todd!















I will also tell you that we may have found the prize winning Mailbox of the Day shot! Which one is your favorite?


 

Photo bombed by Jeff's water bottle!
The mailbox is one the wrong side of the barbed wire.


No comments:

Post a Comment