Friday, July 25, 2014

July 21, Channel 13 Colorado Springs

Today was our day in Colorado Springs. I had a very long list of things to accomplish while we were there! Most of which were done. We picked up our mail from Jan, who was kind enough to collect stuff we had shipped until we arrived. (Jeff's shoes missed us again!) I got shopping done, and managed to meet the Dell technician at a Panera Bread, where he installed the new motherboard in my computer. Yea! And it even worked after installation! There are a couple of messages I am getting, so I guess when I have WIFI somewhere, I will have to call the Dell technical support line and see if they can fix that. Last time they replaced the motherboard, the same thing happened. (Yes, my almost brand new Dell is on it's THIRD motherboard!)

The one really important thing, getting the a/c in the coach fixed, didn't happen. The first 2 places I was referred to were not even open on Monday. Finally, the third one, Intermountain RV, was open and took a look at it for me, even though they were backed up for a couple of weeks. They were very nice. They did confirm that the a/c needed replaced, but they didn't have Dometic parts in stock. Seeing as how I didn't have 7-10 days to wait on a part, I got all the numbers from them and went on over to Camping World. I figured they had stores nationwide, and would hopefully be able to help. I was wrong. They didn't have the unit in any store in the country. And again, 7-10 days for getting the part. I am getting frustrated beyond belief at this point! I called the dealership where we bought it. I was given more phone numbers to call. I even talked to the guy with their warranty division. I got nowhere. I called Forest River, the manufacturer. Also was referred to other phone numbers. No help there! So I have a brand new coach with no a/c, and no one willing to help me with our problem. So I called Coach Net, the equivalent of AAA, I think. He said I would have to visit a Forest River dealer for warranty work on the a/c. He gave me several to call in the Kansas City area. So far, I have left messages and no one has returned my call. I am ready to drive into the Forest River offices in Indiana (if we don't melt before that!) and demand a different vehicle! The dogs are really having the hardest time with the heat during the day. Even when I am running the a/c in the cab, it doesn't do much for the back. Ok, off my soap box for now. I'm sure we are not done with this issue! Pray for us that we can get something done in KC!


The first thing that we did this morning, however, was visit the IAFF Fallen Firefighter Memorial in Memorial Park, downtown Colorado Springs. It was simply amazing. And so humbling. I was able to find the names of Lt. Todd Krodle and Capt. Kenny Harris. I also found Ed Metters, who was one of the original firefighters that I met before getting hired on.  He was killed in a house fire in 1981. Had I not been on a day off that day, I would have swung to his station and been at that fire. The IAFF hasn't done the names for this past year yet.

 



We were also in contact with one of the local TV stations, who sent a reporter out to do an interview. Bonnie from Colorado Springs channel 13 came out and did a really nice spot on us. There was also a guy from channel 11 that came out. I have not been able to find that interview on their website. However, the one from channel 13 is there, and available. You can also find a link to it on my Facebook site, and the support for firefighters Facebook page.


After that, Jeff took off running towards Old Colorado City, since we had skipped that and driven to the memorial to meet the reporter. He visited station 5 there, who were really great! They even tried to get something working for our a/c, but they struck out as well! Thanks for trying, guys!

 



 Old Colorado City (which is a part of Colorado Springs, it is just the really historical area) also has many old and interesting buildings, and of course, the bronze statuary! This is one state to own shares in bronze, that is for sure!








 

Funniest mural we've seen yet!

We actually had a very short running day. I think he only got about 7 miles in. After the interview, talking to the fire fighters, and then going shoe shopping, there wasn't much time for running! I googled a couple of running stores in town. The first one we tried to go to was very close to downtown, and looked pretty cool. However, there was absolutely no where to park the Big Beast. The second one, the Colorado Running Company, was a bit north, in a new center right by the university.  Since we have missed the shipments from his shoe sponsor, Spira Shoes in El Paso, he simply had to have some shoes. Although he brought a couple of back-ups, the back-ups had been worn so many times that they had no tread. Just imagine how fast a pair wears out at 35 miles average per day! He thought he was going to replace his Addidas, but ended up with a pair of Sauconys and a pair of New Balance.


While we were driving looking for the shoe stores, we came across this big statue, which was situated right in the middle of an intersection. And this building, which is a county building. Very nice!






While shopping, we did find a shirt that I needed. However, the tiny one on the mannekin seemed to be the only one they had! Bummer! I was also able to stock Jeff up on his first major food group: ice cream...

 


Even with all of our running around, Jeff was able to find something interesting on the side of the road. And a flower, AND a bicycle motif! Batting pretty much 1000!








And not to worry! We did find a Mailbox of the Day, although granted it is not one of the most creative we have found! I thought it was interesting in that they are spooning!





No comments:

Post a Comment