Monday, July 28, 2014

July 26, Last Day in Colorado

After Jeff got an early start out of Kit Carson that morning, I got up and did my usual. I was worried that I might not be able to get any ice, and I really am not feeling all that great about these little towns without convenience stores! So, I drove past the little liquor store on Main, hoping that they might be open at 9 am. There was an antique store type place connected to it, so you never know! As I drove by I noticed a guy walking into the store. Then he came out and unlocked the ice thing! So, figuring he was opening, I walked on over. Turns out he must have been the owner getting some ice for himself. However, he was a volunteer firefighter in the area, and agreed to sell me ice as long as I used a credit card. Sweet!

And down the road I went looking for Jeff. He is not actually very hard to find. But distance is quite distorted out here. Since it seems almost flat, you just see a ribbon of road going of into the distance. Sometimes I can see a little spec on the left side, and that is usually Jeff!

We are going through very few little towns, and there is not that much to report. Which is why the blogs seem a bit shorter. They are! We are having some difficulty finding flowers on the side of the road, finding mailboxes, or places to park. But on the bright side, Jeff is doing fantastic! His feet are not being any trouble, not like Tennessee, and his new shoes are working fine. Although we did buy some inserts for one pair. But still, no issues. Knock on wood, he remains healthy!

He is also still finding interesting things on the side of the road. Maybe I don't find stuff as I am only out there for 4-5 miles, and he is out there 30 or more! And he is really an observant person. He might have made a good cop I think.... he notices stuff.

I've seen flat snakes, but I've never seen a snake skeleton!

And this little guy was apparently smaller than a dime. I would never have noticed! And against the asphalt.
Sadly today was a pretty uneventful day. Really. I knew that the plains would be tough, but I didn't really have a good grasp of how tough! Lol....

Not sure if they are supposed to be watering? Some cornfields
are perfect. Then some are dust bowls!

This was a cool pic of  a white oil well. With a huge
thunderhead in the distance.

I stopped at a highway historical place. I am again very impressed that the pioneers came across this land without the support we have today! Really, no ice, no a/c (well, ok, we don't have any either!), and having to go from water source to water source. Sadly, someone must have stolen the brass plaque that went to this one.





There was a town with a bigger font and dot on the map coming up. Cheyenne Wells. We were really hoping for a laundromat and even a decent grocery store. Sadly, it was not to be. There was a small grocery, an expensive small grocery, at which I bought a few things we were almost out of. But no laundry. I guess everyone out here has their own, and we don't see many apartment buildings here either.





Of course, they do believe in "gun control" out here!




We ended up the evening at a little town called Arapahoe. We actually stayed at the Kansas/Colorado border, as there was a great big gravel turnout area, along with some picnic tables. It was very quiet on this road after dark. Until the train came by! I guess there was a little gravel road nearby, as he blew his horn, and we were just across the highway from the tracks! Woke us both up! I do like hearing the trains whistle at night, though. It is a very soothing sound to me.






This is the first time that I have seen these little purple flowers. They are very pretty, but they have cousins that are white and pale pink. So here is a flower of the day!



And wonder of wonders, one farmer along this little highway had a very creative Mailbox of the Day!






No comments:

Post a Comment