Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July 30, Going to the County Fair...Almost

This morning it was cool and rainy. It was quite a nice change! I think Jeff was worried he would melt, and didn't get as early a start as he normally does. I had a hard time getting up, as the weather system also brought me a headache. Not a bad one, I was able to stave off the migraine, with Aleve and later my wogging on the road. And later in the afternoon the clouds lifted and the sun came out. It got warmer, but certainly not hot as it was last week!

Anyway, we headed out toward the next few towns. I didn't really have that much to do, as there was no place to dump. So I just swept the coach out, took my shower, and went on down the road. The first dot on the map was Studley. Somehow, I totally missed this one! Thank goodness Jeff was on foot, and stumbled across it!


         

There were a couple of other little towns that we passed without ever really going into. Some were a tad off the road, and others were just dots on a map.

This could be a lovely farmhouse if it were fixed up!
   
Not sure what this building is, but it is clearly made from the local stone.
   

The towns off the road were sure to let us know they were there.

We are beginning to get back into some very scenic areas. There are now trees and rolling hills! So Kansas isn't all flat and full of corn! I was really impressed with Jeff's getting photos of the interesting rock formations, when they did pop up!

     


See? The trees are back.
     

I thought this lone tree was a cool pic.
 

Rolling hills, trees, and a blue sky!

          


Jeff didn't find too much on the side of the road today. However, he did find a couple of interesting things.

He couldn't figure out what the battery was hooked
to, and why?
     
Nothing bit him today but some stickers. They left his clothing
alone, but went for blood!
There is a lot of pride in America in the country.
     





He also passed by a little museum. Really, it is truly amazing the things that you miss while driving! Crossing the country on foot is a much better way to really see it! Lots of folks today stopped to see if we were ok. I guess folks in the country are much more helpful than city folks?





One of the places that we passed by was this historical ranch, the Cottonwood Ranch. Although the house itself was closed on Wednesday, we still had the opportunity to walk through the grounds. It was actually pretty cool. The house itself was built by a liquor salesman from England. He ended up founding a dynasty of sheep ranching here. The stones were all quarried locally, and the house was added onto a number of times. I still have a lot of respect for the moxie the settlers must have had. And the number of changes that have happened in the past 150 years makes me really curious what life will be like in this country in another 150 years.

The original Pratt from England.
The sons, also from England.


     
You can see the original house in the center. I thought
the yellow and pink chaulky stones were pretty!
       


Apparently wife of a son was from England, and much preferred it to pioneer life on the prairie!
         

Sheep ranching. Just like their home!
We also passed this awesome little sign. However, there was no sign of a lake. The locals tell the tale that since there has been a transition to irrigation farming in order to grow the corn for ethanol, the creeks and lakes are all going away, and they are afraid that the water table is dying as well.



Our push was to reach Hill City by stopping time. As I pulled into town and waited for Jeff, I saw several horses in a pond just off the little park I was sitting in. The pic isn't that great, but I thought it was cool.


I also kept seeing these wild gourds on the side of the road here. I finally went up to check one out. Looks just like a watermelon. I think the leaves are wrong, but I didn't know there was such a thing as a wild watermelon!




Once I got into Hill City, I began looking for a dump and place to stay. Google indicated that there was even an RV park here! Well, apparently it is no longer operating. So, plan B. There was a free dump site at the city compound right on the highway. So, first I took care of that. Then I went up to the little city park at the edge of town. Jeff didn't like it, as it was too close to the highway. So, I consulted google again. The county fairgrounds had a few RV hookups, and they were $10! That was a bargain. So, off we went to the county fairgrounds. But wait! The fair and rodeo just happen to be in progress! There were no slots open. However, we decided to go ahead and stay here for the night. This was the last night of the fair, and besides, we didn't think anyone would mind us parking there since they had hookups. Which we didn't get, but a spot to park is just as good. It was really cool! There were horses everywhere! And they were neighing at each other, and people were riding their beautiful mounts all around us! Of course, Zilly and Zada had never been around horses before. They went nuts barking at them for a while. And the first time I took them out to potty, Zada tried to eat the horse crap. That was just before they were attacked by a frisky little Doxie.... you would think that little dog was trying to kill them instead of play with them! She was quite excited to have found 2 playmates. They were terrified and tied their leashes all around me, and Zilly kept trying to jump into my arms. Poor little things need more socialization I guess.



      


I guess it is a good thing that I am not so crazy about horses that I would actually get one. Jeff does not understand what having horses is all about. Oh, well. It was cool being around them for the evening!

The flies were gone all morning, and the flowers are back on the side of the road! By afternoon, though, the flies were back to bothering us. Maybe they stay in when it is raining. But, we got some good flower shots. There was also a ton of yucca in one area. Ugly brown flowery looking things, but yucca all the same.

         
         



And as usual, when it rains mailboxes, it pours them! We got a couple of really interesting Mailbox of the Day shots to leave you with!

Add caption

Add caption
               






No comments:

Post a Comment