Monday, July 28, 2014

July 27, Made it to Kansas

Although we slept on the border, we didn't actually enter the state until the next morning. Jeff had to backtrack a few miles but was soon back at the Kansas border. He seems to do his best work in the morning hours. And he gets the best sunrise pics!








It's kinda tough actually finding good scenery shots right now. I know that some people think the High Plains are beautiful, and I suppose in their own way they are. But it doesn't change much. Not like the mountains. I just love mountains.I have a couple pieces of them in the storage compartment in the coach!








I was also treated to an airshow! If you look at my Facebook page, you will see a video of the crop duster, but here is a great pic of it! They always make me think of my father in law, who got his start as a pilot as a teenager with a local crop duster who taught him how to fly. He ended up being a great pilot in WW2, known as a Hump pilot. Flying supplies over the Himalayan Mountains.  I went to one of their reunions. Now that was a very interesting weekend, listening to the WW2 pilots and their wives, talk about the things they did.



There are a lot of places to read about history here, too. Pretty amazing, huh? I know a lot of people equate the Old West with Texas, but a lot of the stories you hear about happened in this part of the country, too. Pioneers, outlaws, Native Americans, buffalo! I can so see thousands of buffalo out here!




And a lot of these little towns have museums. We stopped at the Fort Wallace museum today. The original building built for the stage was there. And of course the cemetery.



Old stage building, complete with bullet holes!




After going through a couple of little dot on the map towns, and of course finding no laundry, I decided that I should drive to the town up on the interstate, 30 miles away, that had a Walmart. I figured a town with a Walmart should be large enough for a laundry.... nope. However, I did stop at an RV park right at the edge of town to dump the tanks. They had 3 washer and dryers combos, so I loaded them all up. Unfortunately, Pinkie had puked on our bed, actually, on my PILLOW, the night before. So, laundry was a must! Went over to Walmart and picked up a few things. Then went back to put the stuff in the dryer. At that point, I pulled into a spot to dump. Sadly, the one I chose must have been clogged. Thankfully I was cracking my tank valve open pretty slowly, and actually still had my hand on it. I closed it really fast, and went to ask the lady if there was a problem with her sewer... between the two of us, we got it moved to another spot and had no more issues. I really don't like having sewer dump issues. It is pretty gross. TMI, right? Thankfully, I got everything accomplished and rushed back to highway 40 to find Jeff.

While I was gone, the only thing he found on the side of the road, was a sunflower taller than he is! All the ones I've seen have been about 1-2 feet tall.




This is one of the little towns we went through .





Interestingly, I didn't know that Kansas had mountains.... I think this is the highest spot in the state.


After the situation with the rancher running us off in Colorado, I have hoped to find a spot that isn't attached to private property. Tonight, we ended up on a little access road for the railroad. Which of course, put us even closer to the tracks than last night! There were a number of trains that came through over night. Only one of them honked his horn for us. At least that one wasn't really late!

And, lo and behold, we do have a Mailbox of the Day! I guess they didn't want to sink any more poles after doing the fence?






No comments:

Post a Comment