Thursday, May 15, 2014

Blogging is Tough!

All good intentions aside, blogging takes time! Not to mention that you have to have a really interesting and inspiring topic. And with time growing very short before we leave for our big adventure called Running for the Hoses, life has gotten very interesting.

We dropped by my old fire station the other day, station 25 in Dallas, as we were actually in the area. Since it is probably 50 miles from our home, this doesn't happen often. I'm not sure why, but I was a little nervous as we drove up. It has been a little over a year since I retired, and I actually have not been back to visit. I was always amazed how the "old retired guys" were received when they visited. There was always a short time of "how are you, how is retirement" and that sort of thing, then everyone just begins to drift off to take care of their own stuff. I was lucky enough to catch them in the middle of scrubbing and buffing floors in a make ready for an inspection. So, I actually got to stand around in the kitchen, just like when I was working, and shoot the bull with a number of the younger guys for quite a while. It was very nice. Then, we moved into the living room, where the captain and a couple other guys were at the watch desk. We talked there for a while before we left. All in all, I am glad we stopped by. However, it is not something I will make a habit of. Even the venerable Ronnie Hoggatt says it is just not the same.

I was hoping to garner some support for our non-profit from the guys there. I did work with some of them for over 10 years, and the rest for the entire time they were there. We passed out our cards. I wonder, is everyone waiting to see if we actually succeed in crossing the country??? Donations are coming in, but slowly. I have to say, though, that our average is still over $100! Not bad! Even pledging a penny a mile, that is only $35! We just are not very good at fund raising. Hope we improve quickly!


No comments:

Post a Comment